• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with "GPS Test" app since it updated itself?

Dark77

Lurker
Dec 16, 2011
Hi, SG4, Android 4.3

I have been using GPS Test app for 2-3 years now on two phones, and in all that time it was 100% consistent and accurate responding to phone's GPS status. When there was a GPS fix, it immediately reflected so in the app, in fact it was so accurate that I used it as a sole test for the phone's GPS status.

Few days ago, the app updated itself to version 1.3.2, and ever since then, it very rarely shows a GPS fix, or even that it sees ANY satellites on sky map? At the same time I test it against "Google Maps", "GPS Status" and "miCoach", all of which are working and finding a GPS fix in several seconds, however, GPS Test fails to confirm a fix, and the app itself looks like not even trying to obtain a fix.

I tried to do several changes to GPS, like clear/update aGPS, switch off "Use wireless networks" and rely solely on GPS satellites, but "GPS Test" app reacts to nothing. Sometimes it will get a fix but after a long time, and lose it quickly. "GPS Status" always shows me 14/20 satellites in lock, "miCoach" obtains a fix in a matter of 5-30 seconds, but at the same time "GPS Test" not only does not get a fix, but shows no satellites at all.

Just to repeat, only since the last app update. Anyone else experiencing the same or having the same problem?

Cheers

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones