Problem with K9 Mail Not Syncing

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by marc202, Sep 1, 2010.

1. marc202

marc202 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hi! I'm new to the forums and I just picked up a Droid 2 last week. I'm having a problem with K9 Mail -- it's not automatically checking for mail. It only syncs when I do a manual sync. I have Background sync set to "when 'Background data' is checked'. I have Background data sync set up on my Droid. All of my mail accounts are pop3.

I thought maybe the default mail client was picking up the mail instead of K9, so I tried setting the default mail client to manual sync only, but that made no difference.

This might be a dumb question, but do I need to turn polling on in order for K9 to automatically sync? Or is that not the problem?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Yep...turn on polling. You can set the intervals at which K-9 will check for mail. I have more important accounts, for example, set for every 10 or 15 minutes while lesser accounts are set for 30 minutes or more. Supposedly more frequent polling takes a toll on the battery, but it hasn't caused me any concern to date.

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Depends on the type of account. Is it push or pull? You need to poll the latter.

marc202 likes this.
  4. marc202

marc202 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It's not a push account, so I guess I need to set up polling. Thanks!

5. marc202

marc202 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Another question -- how do I get K9 to sync at the same interval as the default mail apps? I think the default sync for non-GMail accounts is 15 minutes, so I can set that up, but do you know the default sync time for GMail accounts?

And if I set up polling, do I still need to enable background sync/background data?

6. truelies

truelies New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    This software is really confusing people. Why can't they sync each time you go into email like apple does?