problem with locationSupport

Last Updated:

1. integra891

integra891 Member This Topic's Starter

Every time i start google maps on my phone indoors (without gps calculation) my phone always states i am in some far off location (same location every time). What is causing this problem? I flashed my phone with H7 no location file (i am in the US).

Advertisement
  2. ZeeToo

ZeeToo Well-Known Member

Do you have wifi on? And does this always happen no matter where you are when you start maps?

If you're always in the same rough area when you're turning it on it might be the reasons below, if not it might be google maps caching your location? Sounds like it's a bad idea if they do, but doesn't mean they don't do it :)

I've noticed that for some reason google maps tries to get smart and uses the IP location of my wifi to start with (done the same with the desktop) - which puts me the other side of the city.. Might it be the same issue?

The other possibility if no wifi is on is that it's grabbing a faulty cell tower location..

ZeeToo.

3. integra891

This is without wifi on. When i put the wifi on, it finds my location very accurately. When I have no GPS signal in my house and i start Googlemaps, it sometimes puts me at my home location and sometimes puts me in Bellvue Washington. Its either my home location or bellvue washington every time. Does the galaxy have aGPS? I have noticed that my messaging centre number is in area code 206 which is in bellvue washington? Anyone else with this phone in the US have similar problems?

4. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

I used to have this problem with AGPS on. I'm from Hong Kong, but everytime I launched Google Maps and before I got an accurate satellite fix, I would be in Sunnyvale, CA. AGPS is reliant on the information from the network cell towers, so I probably appeared in some foreign place because the cell tower IDs were changed by my network operator and Google hadn't updated their DB yet.

At least that's my theory. If someone else has another explanation, please let me know :)

5. Russ Dill

Russ Dill Well-Known Member

For me, it's Bellevue, WA. This combined with the propensity for severe weather in that area, and my Weather Channel applet created several severe weather alerts throughout the day. I had to remove the Weather Channel applet.

I think it might have to do with Cell towers that do not have the correct location programmed into some database.

6. integra891

I get Bellevue WA too!!! I think it has something to do with the fact that the Tmobile messaging centre number in the phone is set a 206 area code, which is in seattle washington. Probably also related to the fact that we are using the phone in the US when there is no US tailored OS out yet specifically designed for the phone.

7. zukbang

zukbang Active Member

I get Bellevue WA also...is there anyway to change this?
    and I can't locate in google maps using 3G. only with wifi.

8. integra891

well this seems to be a somewhat consistent problem with US users of this phone. right now, as I have no hacking/programming knowledge whatsoever, all we can do is wait till Samsung releases this pohone in the US with a US customized OS. I think its an OS problem with not having the right cache.img (CSC) file for the phone to recognize its location as in the US. I hope at least.

9. zukbang

zukbang Active Member

US release would be a bad news for me. then Tmobile's gonna charge $25 for android web service for I7500. I currently have web2go and don't want to pay $25 for 0.50 mb 3G.