Problem with P3Droid kernel and CPU Temp

Last Updated:

1. Helenoftroy08

Helenoftroy08 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using a P3Droid 800 low voltage kernel. Before, setcpu would read the OMAP3 temp. It will not do so any longer. I installed temp monitor and asked it to display cpu temp on the screen and it told me that I was not using a Tasmanian custom droid kernel? So I basically cannot utilize the cpu temp function with P3Droid's kernel. Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance!:D

Advertisement
  2. Scottmc

Scottmc Well-Known Member

I also noticed that none of the 800Mhz kernels have the temperature monitoring for OMAP temperatures. Without looking into that particular driver I wouldn't know why that is the case, but pretty much the pattern is consistent across all 800Mhz kernels - no CPU temperature. Try bumping up to a 1Ghz kernel and you will probably see temperatures again.

Anybody with knowledge of that driver know why 800Mhz kernels don't support OMAP temp. monitoring?

3. firejuan

firejuan New Member

I tried the 1 and 1.1 GHz and neither were showing CPU temps in setCPU. Not sure why. I am positive that the P3 kernels previously showed the CPU temp.

4. Paul1201

Paul1201 Well-Known Member

I'm running P3's LV 125/1000 and in setCPU all I get is the battery temp. Do you need to uninstall and reinstall setCPU to get CPU temp monitoring?

5. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

you are likely using an older p3droid kernal that didn't have cpu temp monitoring. try these:

recomended p3droid kernals:

http://www.p3designs.info/kernels/
    be sure to run the correct android version 2.2 if you are running froyo:)

6. Paul1201

I just downloaded the Froyo LV kernel from that website Sunday. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling just now. I am running setCPU 2.0.3.

7. digdug1

8. Paul1201

Tried installing the LFY-1100 via SPRecovery and the installation failed.

9. Helenoftroy08

I'm using Chevy's low voltage 800 kernel now and it is monitoring the OMAP temp for me so I'm happy with that! Still no idea why P3Droid's no longer works. I emailed P3 but no response as of yet.

10. Helenoftroy08

They were! At least I know its not me now!

11. rjchittenden

rjchittenden Member

I am having the same issue. I have Moto Droid (1) stock FRG22D rooted and P3Droid Kernel installed. I tried lv125-1000 32vkernel and the 250 version. No CPU Temp. I am using SetCPU where I was able to go into info and see the temp of the OMAP3. I have used P3Droid in the past when we were all at 2.1update and was able to see the temp of the processor. This issue has been discussed in other forums, but none dated in early September. I haven't seen any replies with a solution. When installing the Kernel I did two different ways... 1)root directory and change the name to update.zip. (yes, only one .zip appeared) and kernel successfully installed but no cpu temp. 2)used clockwork mod to navigate to the area of my SD card where the original Kernel was downloaded and installed the zip. I chose a different P3Droid Kernel just to make sure it was flashing and it was successful, however, no CPU temp.

Any takers??

ps I posted in other forums as MrRChitty the same question.

12. digdug1

i usually stick with chevy but i tried running p3droids lv-250-1200-v32 kernal for grins and it is reporting cpu temp fine for me. i am using setcpu version 2.0.3.

13. Helenoftroy08

Ok thats weird that some are reporting...ROM's everyone? I'm running UD 8.0.

14. Helenoftroy08

How long ago did u install the kernel? Recently?

15. Paul1201

Stock Froyo FRG 22D rooted and overclocked that's it.

16. digdug1

this afteroon i tried it soley because of this thread.:)

17. digdug1

i dont think the rom maters. i used this kernal for a long time reguardless of my rom. i am currently flashing between cyanogen 6 and liquid 1.6. it works with both of these as well.

18. rjchittenden

rjchittenden Member

As above, I have moto droid froyo frg22d stock rooted overclocked. All done over last couple of days. I tried P3Droid Kernels for froyo and cpu temp not there in setcpu or temp monitor. I flashed chevy kernel this afternoon with luck. Cpu temp is there. Right now we're burning it up at 118F at 1ghz.

19. digdug1

chevy has never ran my droid hot. i use the ulv versions. im puzzled why p3droids kernals wont report cpu temps for you. i have tried two versions and they work perfectly for me i just tried one on ud 8 and it works as well...

20. rjchittenden

rjchittenden Member

Don't know. Using low voltage. Will have to try ULV. It does cool quickly, though. SetCPU is set at "ondemand".

21. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

At one point, I remember p3droid's kernel reporting a temperature of -40 degrees with the SetCPU widget. Hah, I wish.

22. djembeman

djembeman Well-Known Member

Okay... So, I just installed CyanogenMod 6 last night. I flashed the low voltage 125-1000MHz P3Droid froyo kernel today. I'm actually getting quite a lot of SetCPU force closes. I will try the 250-1000MHz kernel too.

SetCPU and Temp monitor both show CPU temp, but my Temperature profile doesn't activate when it gets to the set temp level. I was using BB v.05 with a lv chevyno1 kernel before and the temperature profile would kick in and lower my clock speed automatically. This is not working with the P3Droid kernel. However, my charging and battery level profiles activate appropriately.

The TempMonitor error that doesn't let you view CPU temps is because you don't have the paid version of the app and I think in the market it tells you that you have to be using a Droid 1 for it to show CPU temp. The tazmanian error thing only came up when I had the free version. Also the SetCPU widget can be set to show CPU temperature as well.

23. rjchittenden

rjchittenden Member

Is your setcpu profile for the CPU temp set as high priority?

I am running Simplystunning 4.8 by Chevyno1 with his 1.1 ghz kernel. I wish his kernel went down to 125 MHz. Anyway, been working great for me. As above, I tried p3droid kernel and while it worked for me, it didn't read OMAP temp.

24. Paul1201

P3 posted over @ MDW that he was trying something out in his kernels but he has fixed the OMAP temp sensor not registering. I just redownloaded the LV 125/1000 Froyo Kernel from P3 Designs and even though the file name is the same I now have CPU temp in SetCPU.

25. zach.schenfisch

zach.schenfisch Well-Known Member

So it wasn't the FRG22D build that was messing with this?

I also flashed a new p3 kernel (ULV 100/1200) after my install of BB v0.5 and lost cpu temp monitoring.