Problem with Screen Blanking when making a call

1. medicbanks

medicbanks New Member

So here is the issue, muy phone works great except when I make a call. I dial the number, hit send and the screen goes blank. The call goes through but my phone is totally unresponsive from the point I make the call. I can press all the buttons and nothing happens. Once the call is ended on the other end my phone will go back to the history screen like normal. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Banks

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'm curious - what happens if you press the trackball?
  3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The phone has a proximity sensor (opposite the led) that will shut off the screen when it gets close to your face. It prevents unwanted hangups. Typically pressing the trackball or the volume buttons will wake the screen up if you need it back during a call. The end button also works, but you run the risk of ending the call.

Now, if your screen is going black immediately after hitting the send button and won't wake using any button then there is a problem. If you have a case on the phone make sure that it is not covering the proximity sensor in anyway. I have even read that scratches on screen protectors over the sensor can cause problems.

If the above is the case then you could try a factor reset (it is what Verizon will make you do anyway) or just take it into a store and talk to a technical support person.
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

If the proximity sensor remedy does not restore proper function, that phone may be begging for a factory data reset (menu > settings > privacy > factory data reset).

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html
  5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I too am thinking that there is something over the proximity sensor. If not a case like OTD suggested, then just 'gunk' from the normal day to day existence of being a phone. Make sure the screen above the sensor is CLEAN.
  6. medicbanks

medicbanks New Member

thanks for all the help guys, i just put an invisishield screen protector on which seems to slightly cover the proximity sensor.