Problem with Sync

Last Updated:

1. itscrazy

itscrazy New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I was trying to install 2.1 on my Hero but i kept getting error 170, saying that it could not connect to my phone. So I deleted the sync that I had installed and installed the newest one from the HTC website. However, when I went to open Sync, it would not open. I get an error saying "Unable to load configuration". I deleted the updated sync from my comp and used the setup thats on the SD card but I still get the same error. I have Vista 32 bit. Anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it??

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Try to run it as administrator.

3. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

When you set up to sync, make sure that you choose sync on the Hero screen on your phone.

Sent from my Sprint HTC Hero with Tapatalk.

4. owf13

owf13 Member

I had a similar experience trying to sync to install the update. Worked on it for hours. Installing...uninstalling...trying different drivers and suggestions I found online. Nothing worked. I ended up going to the Sprint store and having it installed. Luckily I don't have any need for sync since I'm still able to move music to the SD card.

5. adams062301

adams062301 Member

I'm having the same trouble. That error 170: connection error, I don't know how many times I have uninstalled reinstalled the new sync...I Don't have the option to go to a sprint store since the nearest one is 50 miles away. I need some serious help so I can get this updated!!!

6. jwpilly

jwpilly Well-Known Member

It may be a driver issue. Try installing this software, which has the correct drivers, then try running Sync again. Hope that helps.

7. mem_reddog

mem_reddog Well-Known Member

Make sure you are selecting the sync option on your phone not usb storage.

Also make sure you reboot after installing htc sync

8. adams062301

adams062301 Member

I have done that. I have read every so called fix online and still nothing. I guess no update for moi :) Oh well what do ya do?!

9. mem_reddog

I suspect there may be something else going on. Make sure you turn off UAC, then download malwarebytes anti-malware program and run a scan to make sure there aren't any bugs on your computer. After that try again. I have used htc sync with xp, vista, windows 7 and it worked fine on all of them. There is something stopping your drivers from installing correctly.

10. adams062301

adams062301 Member

I just did a scan yesterday before I found out about this update. I'm still fairly new to this phone only had it for a couple months. So I have no idea what UAC is. Now I sound like a really nimrod :) thanks for you help tho!

11. mem_reddog

UAC = User Access Control and this could be stopping your drivers from loading correctly. Here is how you turn it off.

Launch MSCONFIG by from the Run menu.
    Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find "Disable UAC" . Click on that line.
    Press the Launch button.
    A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.
    Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

After this uninstall HTC Sync, reboot again, then install HTC Sync and reboot. It should be installed correctly now.

12. adams062301

adams062301 Member

I will try that! Thanks for explaining and being patient :)

13. adams062301

adams062301 Member

none of that worked, we called htc, they had us uninstall limewire and itunes telling us sometimes those will stop it from working....that didn't work. So off the OKC i go :-(