Problem with text cursor in Swype

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why is the text cursor not there when using Swype?

If I type a paragraph and ned to change a word, I need to be able to put a cursor right where the word is so I can edit/delete/replace the word. Since it's invisible.

Is this a problem or is there a different mechanism to achieve that in Swype?

Advertisement
  2. ZDroid1

My initial post was typed using Swype and it's full of errors. I apologize.

3. buddy17

buddy17 Member

was just wandering this today...coming from an iphone, the magnifying glass that pops up when you tap and hold is GREATLY missed! i'm sure there is something we are missing, hopefully someone can help us out

4. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

Double tap the word is its just misspelled. That brings up the little word box again, and you can pick which word you really want. I dunno what to do when its completely the wrong word tho

ewingr likes this.
  5. sinoth

sinoth New Member

Drag from the swype key to the SYM key (they are right next to each other). This will bring up an editing mode where you can move the cursor around... might be what you're looking for.

upliftpeanut and ewingr like this.
  6. ZDroid1

What I'm saying is there is no blinking caret. So even when I swipe from the Swype key to the SYM key, I have no idea where I'm at since there is no caret.

By the way, this only seems to happen when I'm posting here :) I see the caret in other text entry n boxes.

7. tekonus

tekonus Well-Known Member

As I never post here from my phone, I'd be willing to bet its more of a problem with this website and not the phone. I use swype exclusively and have never noticed the cursor not being there. If I make a mistake and need to go back the flashing cursor usually pops up exactly where I tap to correct. When first using it I was surprised at how accurate it was. When I had my iPhone I'd constantly have to tap and hold to zoom in cause otherwise the damn thing would be horribly inaccurate.

8. huskerkurt

huskerkurt Well-Known Member

I use Swype as well, and I've found it to work quite well. Correcting stuff when I need to, which doesn't happen very often, because it's easy to use and does a pretty good job about 95% of the time knowing what I'm trying to type, is very easy. I can generally with one click get the cursor where I need it, and if not, using the edit keys you can get by swiping between the Swype icon and the SYM is very easy. I also wanted to add that I just tried looking real quick, and I was able to see the cursor on this board when using Swype, so I'm not sure what the issue is with not being able to see it.

9. ZDroid1

I'm typing this now using the phone. In portrait mode, it functions but the cursor is invisible. When I hold it sideways, the cursor is visible but it doesn't work at all (it won't move when I push the arrow keys).