1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

problem with the Google+ App

1. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

As per the title, I'm having issues with the Google+ app.

I got an invite for Google+ AGES ago, but haven't really used it that much. I got the app on my phone and haven't EVER been able to log in. I know that my account works, as I can log in on my laptop.

Having done as much searching as possible on the net (including searches on here), I have not found anyone else with the same problem.

I select the Google+ app and select my gmail account... it does the "connecting" and "sending" (as you would expect), but then comes back with:

Oops!
    We have encountered a problem.

The server has returned an error.

There was a problem communicating with the server. Please try again later.

I have tried again later several hundred times, but still get the same issue.
    I've tried to ask Google (through their online help forums) and had a few suggestions from other users:

I have deleted the app and re-installed... which hasn't helped - still same issue.

I have cleared the data for the app (actually tried to clear the cache on it, but can't seem to do so - always shows as 0.003 when I go in to look at it in "menu=>settings=>applications=>manage applications=>google+") - clearing data hasn't helped either.

I really want the app to work, as I think I would then get more out of Google+

Please could someone let me know if they've had a similar issue and how it was sorted?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Cheers!

Advertisement
    :
  2. D-U-R-X

Well... as an update... I have not long got home and turned my phone on (from completely dead) and got an update for the new style Market. This somehow seems to have done something to the google+ app and now it has let me sign in!

Who knows if these 2 things are related, but it's now working, so who cares!

:D
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I gotta say, I dropped the app in favor of the mobile Google + from my browser.

I found that the app was keeping my phone awake and buying me nothing - in my case, I don't care about notifications.

I also found that when I turned on location tracking in my browser (Boat Browser Mini) that the Nearby feature works.

Now I incrementally control when I want to see nearby and by exiting the page, I am off Google + and get the battery performance I like.
    9to5cynic, D-U-R-X and Clementine_3 like this.
  4. flare243000

flare243000 New Member

Did you see if the app's compatible with your phone?
  5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Never thought to check the mobile page, it's pretty decent. Not sure I want to ditch the app yet though but probably will at some point.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  6. D-U-R-X

Think I'm gonna give the app a go for a bit, but thanks for the tip!! :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  7. D-U-R-X

No, but others with the Desire HD had the app all working!
  8. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Good tip. I've had my android for a year and I'm still in the blackberry days on not using mobile sites.

I'll definitely need to try this out sometime soon. Thanks for the tip!
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. D-U-R-X

Thought it was too good to be true... the app stopped working yesterday (late on in the day, having worked all day at work) - aparently there was no connection.

I decided to clear the data, etc for the app and try again and now I'm back to square one!!!

I think I'm gonna have to go with EarlyMon's suggestion after all!
  10. EarlyMon

Another advantage is quicker access to links. ;)
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  11. D-U-R-X

I was disappointed but there's no point dwelling on it!
  12. EarlyMon

Sorry to hear that - maybe they'll square the app away at some point.
  13. D-U-R-X

I just thought that the app was a really good idea! Shame it doesn't work but, like you say, perhaps they'll get any issues resolved at some point!

Hadn't even thought to try the mobile web version.... I have only had a little play with it, but it does seem good! I guess Google+ is pretty new and to start with there are gonna be issues!
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. EarlyMon

Btw - side swipe takes you to incoming / nearby, just like the app.

Get to circles and notifications via Home, upper left.
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  15. D-U-R-X

So really, I won't be missing that much by not having the app then... good to know!!
  16. D-U-R-X

Just for anyone who is interested... worked out what the problem was... I've got "Droidwall" on my phone and hadn't whitelisted the google+ app to have access to the internet... it's now working again!

Feel a bit stupid right now, as I should have realised this before, but thought I'd explain how I got it working again!
    EarlyMon likes this.
  17. EarlyMon

I also read recently that they figured out the installer problem, so if you couldn't install it before, give it another go.
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  18. D-U-R-X

When I had allowed access to the net via droidwall, the app is working again!!

Thanks EarlyMon!
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. EarlyMon

Nice catch!
  20. stopthis

stopthis New Member

Me too, so I'm joining you in thanking the author of the good advice ;)
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  21. viilmand

viilmand New Member

Hello,
    As a buyer of a Tablet Motorola xoom which includes the Android 3.2 operating system honey comb. I demand that Google software version will allow all purchasers of this tablet to connect and sync our device with a computer containing the software Windows XP.
    I turn from this platform to the companies to stop using us purchasers of equipment and software as soldiers in wars between them.
    If no effect software will be made immediately that allows identification of devices by other devices contains xoom and Windows , we should consider legal action against these companies.
    Thank you
    Disappointed customers using Android .