Problem with transferring mp3 to 32gb card

Last Updated:

1. jaclynmckewan

jaclynmckewan New Member This Topic's Starter

I got a Motorola Droid from Verizon in the spring. It came with a Sandisk 16gb card, but I have over 20 gb of music, so for the time being I've only kept some of my music on there. I always transferred music through the USB connection, using Windows Explorer (I have Windows 7). I have all the files tagged with title/artist/album etc. but for easy organization I have them sorted into folders - a folder for each artist, and a subfolder for each album. Right now my phone is running Froyo (Android 2.2).

My husband recently bought me a Samsung 32 gb micro SDHC card that he got on eBay. So of course as soon as it was in the phone, I wanted to transfer my music. I connected it to the computer via USB, and copied all my music folders onto it. Explorer showed that it would take a few hours for the transfer, so I left it plugged in overnight.

The next morning it seemed to be complete, so I disconnected the phone and started up my music player. To my surprise, it only showed 4 artists. I went to Settings --> SD Card & Phone storage. It showed over 20 GB used. I plugged the phone back into the computer, and it again showed up as a drive in Windows Explorer, and it showed that all the music was there. But it wasn't showing up on the phone.

When I got to work, I tried plugging it into that computer, but now Windows Explorer only showed those 4 artists.

I later noticed that the 5th artist folder had an album name with an apostrophe in it, which was reflected in the folder name. I wondered if there was a problem with non-alphanumeric characters so I combed through all the folders, removing anything that wasn't a letter or number. I tried copying over just a few at a time, but still, once I looked at the phone, not all the songs were there.

My husband suggested formatting the card. On the phone, I tried to unmount it, and the screen said "unmounting in progress" but never finished, so I was not able to select the format option. My husband then took the card out and formatted it from the PC, as FAT32.

I then tried just copying over the first 5 folders. Then I looked at the music player. Two artists were completely missing. Most of the others came over okay, but several of them (from different artists/albums, seemingly randomly) came up under "unknown artist" even though they are all fully tagged.

I don't really know what to do. My husband thinks that maybe the Samsung card has some file format restrictions, but I'd hate to think I have to go through thousands of music files and eliminate all non-alphanumeric characters from the file names. I'm not sure why this problem didn't happen with the previous card, which was from Sandisk.

I've checked this forum and Googled, and I can't find anyone else who's had this problem. Can anyone advise?

Advertisement
  2. chris504

chris504 Active Member

i've been having similar problems with a 32gb card i just got for my Evo. Posted last night hoping someone could help but havent gotten a reply yet. I've tried syncing using windows explorer, isyncr, itunes agent and windows media player. windows media method syncs about 200 of my 1100+ songs, the other methods only transfer 30-50 songs...but all the folders for each artist and album are there...just empty. its weird. well if anybody replys to my thread with something that works i'll let you know

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Have you tried a battery pull on the phone? The only other thing I would suggest is to format the card, which it sounds like you already did. It could be a bad card, there are A LOT of fakes on ebay. Maybe try contacting the seller and send it back.

4. chris504

chris504 Active Member

i got my kingston microsd off ebay too :/

5. chris504

chris504 Active Member

but what do u mean by battery pull?

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Ummm, pull the battery out of the phone. Wait a few minutes, then put it back.

7. Vegasden

Vegasden Member

As far as I can tell, only SanDisk is selling a 32gb microSD. At least, that's what I had read on another forum.

I saw on xda many people buying ebay versions and having all sorts of problems. Here is a link to a discussion and a program you can use to check the true capacity of the sd your purchased. SD Card test program, is it fake? Here's how to tell for sure - xda-developers

My guess (because of the errors you described is similar to others posting) is the card is a fake. Personally, I would go through paypal and get your money back.

8. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

9. chris504

chris504 Active Member

Everything i tried failed, so I talked to the seller on ebay and he'll take it back with a refund. Somebody else on this forum said Verizon was selling Sandisk 32GB microSD cards for $100 so i checked it out. They're $150 in Verizon stores, but its $50 off online with free overnight shipping. So I ordered mine online for $100 today.

Edit: Oh and you don't have to have Verizon to get it either. I ordered for my Evo.