• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with usb mass storage.

Concker

Apr 4, 2011
Hello!

I will try keep short so well:

The problem is that after i upgraded my computer with new motherboard, cpu and ram, and did a clean install of Windows 7 @ 64Bit i have some issues regarding connecting the HTC Desire to my computer.

The problem is that when i connect it, it shows up as mass storage device but when i try to enter it, it says that it cannot be opened.

The strange thing however is that if i plug in my phone, then restarts the pc, it will work properly, but asoon as i disconnect the phone, and then reconnect it, the same issue, Cant accses the phone. And restarting the pc for everytime you want to copy some files to the phone is annoying.

So some basic info about the phone and computer:

The phone is a HTC Desire, that is rooted and uses RCMix HD room, (dont remember the version)

The Pc's specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe.
Cpu: Intel I7 2600k.

So i have tryed the following to adress the issue:

Tryed diffrent cable's
Tryed install, and uninstall HTC Sync like 100 times.
Deleted the android phone driver, then reinstall.
Try to update the driver (Say's newest are installed)
Tryed all my USB Ports, including USB 3, and 2 ports.
Changed drive letter of the mass storage.
Rebooting phone etc.
I have set it to when i connect the phone it does autmaticly go into mass storage device, and i have "hid the message".

Also tryed the phone on 3 other computers, and works perfectly then. No need for HTC Sync or anything. Pop's straight up. But on my main computer i need to plug it in and restart everytime to get into the sd card...

I have however not tryed format the SD Card, but i highly doubt the problem is there since it works on every other computer without problems, to me it sounds like a driver problem, but why does it work when i connect the phone, then restart the computer, and then all of a sudden dont work if i try to disconnect it and reconnect ?

Im running out of ideas here so if you been having this problem, or know some sort of solution it had been superb!

Regards Daniel :)

Are you on the same rom installation that you had with the old motherboard?

Have you tried reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers?

Does naything at all show in device manager with yello signs next to it?

I have a brand new windows 7 install, tho with same cd and still 64bit etc, if that is what you mean.

In Device manger it shows up under disk drives as HTC Android Phone USB Device, no marks or anything. It also shows up under my computer as Removable Disk (T:), Tho it dosent show that xxGB free of xxGB. And when i press it i get the message: Please insert disc. If i restart the computer it works fine untill i unplugg the phone, then i will get that message again untill i reboot again =7

Edit: Also the chipset drivers er fine, everything else works except the phone witch only works on a reboot of the computer

Upvote 0
The issue sounds like it may be phone related.

Backup with a nadroid, delete all the android devices in Device manager and try a reset of the phone. There may be some odd hardware association within the phones memory causing issue.

Highly doubt so.

First of all the phone is just as it was before i changed motherboard, and worked fine back then, also it works fine on all the other computers i have tryed it on. (4 computers tested, and only on my main computer this happens) So the phone is fine, im 100% sure the issue is in someway related to the driver. However how and why im not sure. Since a reinstall of the driver dont help

Upvote 0
Highly doubt so.

First of all the phone is just as it was before i changed motherboard, and worked fine back then, also it works fine on all the other computers i have tryed it on. (4 computers tested, and only on my main computer this happens) So the phone is fine, im 100% sure the issue is in someway related to the driver. However how and why im not sure. Since a reinstall of the driver dont help

Will you please re-read my post? You seem to have got as far as line one and stopped. The other lines are important too.

Upvote 0
Will you please re-read my post? You seem to have got as far as line one and stopped. The other lines are important too.

I did read it all, and i will not do that.

This is because this is the first time my phone works 100% with a custom room. and as i said since it worked fine before, and still does on other computers thats is not likly the problem

Upvote 0
Fine, although you still don't understand my post as you mention other computers which are quite frankly, irrelevant.

My thought behind that is if the USB controller on the new motherboard may have a different IRQ and the phone is remembering different information to some of the remaining hardware that uniquely identifies itself and it isn't matching with what it expects on your computer (because you changed the motherboard).

Bearing in mind that a nandroid backup is a snapshot in time, so recovery via nandroid will put yourself in the EXACT position you are in now, so if wiping and deleting the devices doesn't work, you've lost nothing except the time taken to do this. Worst case scenario, you rule it out.

Being an experienced android rooter / flasher and an IT support engineer, it is definitely something I would like to rule out at least.

Sorry, cant help other than that

Upvote 0
Ok, so i have now completly reformatted and gone from a2sd+ partions to d2exp, And brand new install of newer room for the phone. So it's basicly like brand new again! Havent restored any backups or anything.

But still the issue remains, there is no problem on other computers, but asoon as i connect it to my computer i cant open it as stated above.

So the issue is not with the phone but the pc.

Any ideas ?

Upvote 0
HTC sync and HTC driver installer show as 2 instances in Add / remove programs or equivalent so ensure when uninstalling htc sync, both are gone.

As for any other drivers, if you uninstall them by device manager, it will uninstall the drivers. Maybe seek the source files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete them there too?

Did it ever work since installing windows on this new motherboard based PC? Wondering if another fresh install is worth doing?

Upvote 0
HTC sync and HTC driver installer show as 2 instances in Add / remove programs or equivalent so ensure when uninstalling htc sync, both are gone.

As for any other drivers, if you uninstall them by device manager, it will uninstall the drivers. Maybe seek the source files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete them there too?

Did it ever work since installing windows on this new motherboard based PC? Wondering if another fresh install is worth doing?

Well i do uninstall all htc stuff in add/remove prog. Then i delete the android mobile driver, then adb.

Dont find any thing named with android or htc in system32

Upvote 0
I have stuff in system 32, but I will have instaleld drivers that you probably wouldnt have.

Did it ever work since new install on new mobo? Did you install any other PC applications for android or anything that syncs like winamp or anything?

Cant realy remember if it did work at the start on this mb, but i think it did, and i know for sure that htc desire work's on this motherboard. got an mate with same mb and works fine there. Also its nothing wrong with usb ports since everything else works like a dream.

I do not have any other apps that syncs with android

Upvote 0
I tend to take backups of my pc. I use acronis true image but Norton Ghost is goiod too (industry standard for desktop / laptop machines).

Not much use now, but for the future maybe.

Rather than reformatting the machine, you could try and install a virtual machine on your computer and run a fresh windows in there. May be overkill though, just to test if it works on a clean install.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones