• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Probleming adding a "+" or any other code before the number in contacts

I've been having a major problem with my contacts list since moving my contacts from a Blackberry to a Motorola Droid.

Lots of my contacts have phone numbers under one name, separated by a "+" or a calling code. If the phone number is exactly the same, only one number shows up in the Droid's contact. I never get the choice to pick the numbers inside the contact. This is a big problem for people who travel and need the "+" to make international calls or have a calling code before the number when they travel.

Someone please try this and let me know if they have the same problem. I made a contact called test. I added the number 11111111111 under home, then I added +11111111111 under mobile, then I added 2211111111111 under work. When you look for the contact test you should only see the choice to call 11111111111. The other numbers under the contact never show up.

Any ideas! This is a big big problem for me as it was no problem to dial our the same number with different codes before the number from my Blackberry.

Thanks.

In the phone app you only see one entry for each contact in the list with their default number. If you click on the little card icon to the right of their name/number it will take you to their calling card to choose which number you want to use. I'm very glad it works this way otherwise for some contacts I'd have a huge list of numbers. If you want to change a contacts default number just long hold on the number in their profile and select 'Set as default number'.

Upvote 0
In the phone app you only see one entry for each contact in the list with their default number. If you click on the little card icon to the right of their name/number it will take you to their calling card to choose which number you want to use. I'm very glad it works this way otherwise for some contacts I'd have a huge list of numbers. If you want to change a contacts default number just long hold on the number in their profile and select 'Set as default number'.

That's exactly the problem, in the phone app > contacts > click and hold a contact name > view....only one number shows up.

If you create a contact called Contact 1 with the numbers

1-555-5555
21-1-555-5555
22-1-555-5555

Only one number will show up when you view the contact...if you edit the contact you'll see all three numbers show up.

You never have the choice to dial the other numbers. The problem with having any calling code in front of the number still wrecks the contact list for me. To solve the problem I thought I could create seperate contacts with slightly different numbers like
Contact 1 - 1-555-5555
Contact 2 - 21-1-555-5555

Android/Droid can't seem to separate Contact 1 from Contact 2. When I go to redial it all shows up as Contact 1 in the call log even if I've called Contact 2. If I save both those numbers under Contact 1, only one of the numbers will be available to dial. I never have the choice to dial other numbers.

That's totally broken.

Another problem is when you have multiple co-workers with the same office number, Android/Droid can't understand the contacts are different. In the call log if you call different people with the same number, only one contact shows up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones