Problems after 3.29.651.5 FPS Cap UpdateSupport

Last Updated:

1. chanimal

chanimal New Member This Topic's Starter

Is anybody having problems with the market place and Google Talk after performing the newest OTA for the FPS Cap update? When I go to the market place and try to download an App it gets hung up on "starting download" and the app does not actually start downloading. Also when I try opening Google Talk it gets hung up on the singing in screen which shows a larger version of the icon and its unable to sign in. My Gmail seems to still work fine receiving e-mails but other apps linked to my gmail log in seem to be hung up. I read that i should delete the account and resign in, but wouldn't i lose some sync features and some apps associated with my gmail?

Advertisement
  2. Quantizer

Quantizer Member

Sigh... same here...

Just updated to latest OTA update this morning.

I have gotten as much as a whopping 205M free on my EVO, but still I get the notification that the phone is low on memory, which prevents the Android Market from downloading anything. I've also uninstalled a bunch of apps, but that didn't help.

I'm also getting constant Google sign-in requests, but typing in the security answer and YouTube password it wants never works.

Again, one must ask the question. Was this patch even tested??? :rolleyes:

---------

Update #1:

More info here on market not working after OTA update:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/180678-android-market-issue.html

I made a bit of progress by pulling out the battery. After putting it back in and booting the EVO, I rushed to the market as soon as the phone let me and I was able to download and install a single application before the dreaded and very wrong low memory error showed its ugly self again. Having to pull the battery, not a fun task on this phone, for each application installation is completely unacceptable, insane even.

As for the weird YouTube login error, I went to Gmail account settings and deleted the YouTube account, went to the YouTube app, and logged in using the Gmail account, which for some reason worked, although re-entering the actual YouTube account settings definitely would NOT work. Strange, but the YouTube app is now working with my YouTube account using my Gmail login. It seems as though something got scrambled after the OTA patch, although Gmail still works and receives e-mails.

On the positive side, Pandora seems to be working again, the touch sensitivity is nicely back to pre-Froyo, and the fps cap removal makes the phone use way more responsive.

Now if only we could figure out how to use the Android Market again......

---------

Update #2:

Deleted lots more apps from the market. Finally, the low space notification went away. Seems like the new OTA update has an app number limit imposed on the Android Market. So, if you have more apps than is allowed under the new limit, you won't be able to install any new ones until you delete quite a few old ones.

One strategy is to backup apps using ASTRO File Manager and then install / uninstall them as needed. PITA...

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...52451-low-space-notification.html#post1397697

So, now, it's not just a matter of how much storage space is available, but how many apps are installed, as well. I had moved every app to the SD card that I could find that had SD support, but apparently that just wasn't good enough. Now this new app limit... :rolleyes:

---------

Update #3:

Still confused, actually. Reinstalled a few apps from ASTRO backup, but then got a message in ASTRO saying that there was no more space on the phone, even though Advanced Task Killer and System apps say there's over 120M free on the internal memory. Where else is one to look to see when one is near the limit of apps / internal storage usage??? :eek:

---------

Update #4:

Just discovered a useful app called "App 2 SD" in the market. It caught a few apps that I had not moved to the SD card yet, although most were very small in size (I had caught the big ones previously). There is a different internal memory size shown at the bottom of the App 2 SD screen, which is a LOT lower than the free internal memory shown in other apps. Also very useful is the "Phone only" screen that shows the gobs of apps that don't have support for SD install. It's quite the long list! Let's hope the devs get with the program and update their apps for SD install.

3. chanimal

Seems like there are a lot of issues with the Evo after this newest update. I am reading about not being able to download apps, over heating, diminished battery life and gmail/gtalk sync issues. Many have suggested logging out of gmail and resigning on or rebooting the phone but this only seems to be a band aid solution and the original problems come back. I hope HTC/Sprint is aware of these issues. My phone has been working flawlessly before the latest update and i'm really starting to get annoyed at how my phone locks up.

4. mykal

mykal New Member

no problems here :)

5. sintricate

sintricate Well-Known Member

Remember, only the people who have had problems complain. Thousands of us have had no issues, I'm sure the number of people with problems is low.

6. doomwad

doomwad Member

Has anyone else gotten keyboard lag? For instance, open your browser (or text message, or whatever) turn it to landscape and type "that" using both thumbs to hit alternating letters in the word. I get "hat" every time. This is just one example. I can't type out a simple 1 sentence text message with out hitting the delete button over most words. And yes, I've tried calibrating the keyboard.

For the love of all that is good and holy in this world, is there any way to revert back to before this update?

7. chanimal

Very ture, however the problem is that usually an OTA update released by a manufacturer should improve upon the experience of the device not create problems that take away from the fucntionality of the device. For those of you who have had no problems I'm glad you can enjoy your phone as it was intended to be used. For those of us who have had flawless working phones prior to the update and are now having problems after the manufacturer's update I find something very wrong with this and completely unacceptable. Even if one person's phone bricked or crashed I feel like thats unacceptable. The problem is sifting through these forums I'm seeing many who are having varying issues after this latest update. Hopefully someone can chime in and post a definitive solution to some of these issues that we are experiencing.

8. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this OTA last night and am experiencing the same issues.

9. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a fix for this or a place to discuss with HTC?

10. erichg1000

erichg1000 Well-Known Member

I put off downloading the OTA for several weeks. Last weel, when rebooting after a battery switch it prompted me to DL and I said what the hell.

Since then if I plug my phone in to charge, it freezes up and lags terrible. It will take 5-10 seconds for a response after I press a button.

A couple times it was laggy as all hell when it was not plugged in. All this week it has only been acting up when plugged in so I stopped plugging it in and just swap fully charged batteries.

Very annoying and unnaceptable. I guess I'll have to root now I didn't really have a need to before but now since this OTA sucks I will. Was always in the camp where I was glad I had a perfectly working phone and hoped that issues I read about never happened to me. Now I'm on the other side of the fence. Not fun.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Have you guys tried a hard reset? It helped with froyo update issues....could help with these