• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems after Froyo Update. Help please?

Turteyz

Lurker
Dec 12, 2010
Sorry if this has been said before but way too many Froyo bug threads to search through.

I've hit two problems since updating to Froyo.
1. I can't set my default messaging app to Handcent SMS anymore.
Not the turn off notifications method. I mean actually making the messaging icon on the homescreen default to Handcent instead of the stock one. Whenever I get texts, I get the Handcent notification but there's still a running number on the messaging app from the stock messenger. On 2.1, I was able to set Handcent by default as my messaging app and I wouldn't get the running tally of unread messages on the homescreen message icon.

2. Downloaded apps that are on the homescreen disappear after I turn off the phone.
I had Angry Birds and when I turned on my phone, the icon I had for it disappeared from my homescreen. The same happened to several other apps and I can't figure out why. Factory resetting the phone didn't change anything and it's getting really frustrating.

Can any of you guys help me out please?

On 2.1, I was able to set Handcent by default as my messaging app and I wouldn't get the running tally of unread messages on the homescreen message icon.

On 2.1 the tally of unread messages wasnt shown on the homescreen icon. This is a new addition in 2.2. However if you are irritated by the no. You can remove the icon from the bottom task bar by going to "applications" then pressing the "Menu" button....selecting "edit" then dragging the message icon so that it goes in the application drawer and out of the task bar.

Upvote 0
On 2.1, I was able to set Handcent by default as my messaging app and I wouldn't get the running tally of unread messages on the homescreen message icon.
On 2.1 the tally of unread messages wasnt shown on the homescreen icon. This is a new addition in 2.2. However if you are irritated by the no. You can remove the icon from the bottom task bar by going to "applications" then pressing the "Menu" button....selecting "edit" then dragging the message icon so that it goes in the application drawer and out of the task bar.

Upvote 0

It's not just the number that fully irritates me though. In 2.1, I could click that messaging icon and it would take me to Handcent SMS's screen instead of the stock. I've just downgraded to 2.1 to try and recreate it. Not sure how I did it the first time so lots of trial and error now.

Your trick is pretty cool though.

Edit: Okay I figured out how to do it. When I texted myself, I got 2 alerts on the notification bar. One from Handcent and the other from the stock. I clicked the stock and a screen popped up saying which application i want to run for messages. Handcent and Message came up and so did the make this my default. YAY, now I can keep the awesome envelope icon on my toolbar instead of handcent's icon. Need to upgrade back to froyo to make sure it sticks.

Edit 2: Ugh, after updating back to Froyo, it failed. Just went back to what goyal said.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this has been said before but way too many Froyo bug threads to search through.

I've hit two problems since updating to Froyo.
1. I can't set my default messaging app to Handcent SMS anymore.
Not the turn off notifications method. I mean actually making the messaging icon on the homescreen default to Handcent instead of the stock one. Whenever I get texts, I get the Handcent notification but there's still a running number on the messaging app from the stock messenger. On 2.1, I was able to set Handcent by default as my messaging app and I wouldn't get the running tally of unread messages on the homescreen message icon.

2. Downloaded apps that are on the homescreen disappear after I turn off the phone.
I had Angry Birds and when I turned on my phone, the icon I had for it disappeared from my homescreen. The same happened to several other apps and I can't figure out why. Factory resetting the phone didn't change anything and it's getting really frustrating.

Can any of you guys help me out please?

Pt no 2 is a known issue :-(

For the apps stored in External SD card, the shortcuts seem to disappear when we restart the phone.

Hopefully a firmware update in the future would fix this issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones