• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems After Tablet Returns from Repair Shop

I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in June 2011, and just loved it. It had the Honeycomb (Android 3.1) operating system installed, and I had a lot of apps that I really loved. But gradually it developed severe battery problems and a loose charging port, so I sent it off for repair. I still wanted to have this as a usable tablet, because I love the design of this ultra-thin, ultra-light device.

While it was in the shop I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I was pleased to see that the Play Store had kept track of all of my apps, and I was able to put them on the new tablet.

Then, I got my original tablet back from the shop. When I logged into my Google account and visited the Play Store, it shows me all of the apps for my brand new tablet under the MyApps. Everytime I try to download an app, I get a server error ([RPC:S-7:AEC-7 HHOA-P4J6-TMI44]). I read someone's advice to fix this by deleting the Play Store cache and data, then force-stopping, but it didn't fix the problem. Another person said this problem is related to certain Google (GMail) accounts, and can't be fixed by the user, and to try creating a new Gmail account. (Of course, I would lose all of my paid apps this way.)

Does anybody know what this error is? Is the Play Store confused by the two devices with two different operating systems?

Part two of my question, and I know this is going to sound really silly. They replaced the Android Honeycomb OS with a later version that I don't find nearly as aesthetically pleasing. I really loved the black background, and the built-in apps that I used the most were actually better before.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to do a firmware downgrade? I have the exact version and build number written down. (In fact, I uploaded all of the .apk and .odex files from the system directories to a server and have them stored. Would any of these files be usable?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones