• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems connecting Samsung Galaxy Spica

cerr

Sep 28, 2010
Hi There,

I'm new here.
I got last week a new Samsung Galaxy SPICA and got a new netbook today. Now I wanted to connect my Windows 7 netbook to my new phone to try out if it will work as modem. I downloaded the Samsung PC Studio 7 Software and I've been trying to get my phone hooked up by USB but I keep getting the "Problems with USB connection?" dialog... it won't recognize that the phone is hokked up. Does anyone here have any clues?

Thank you tons,
Ron

Hi There,

Which version are you running (Settings->About phone->Firmware version)?
I'm not sure if you can use the phone as a modem though, however I'm sure you can set it up as a hotspot if you root it and install wifi tether.

Currently running. 1.5 which I would like to upgrade too. Should be doable with samsung's software too I believe....
thanks for helping me!

Upvote 0
Check out my Root guide for possible solutions on your recognition problems.

Also you can use the first part of the Root guide to update to the latest 2.1 firmware.

If you want tether, follow the root guide, and continue to Root the phone, as this installs the tether software.

That sounds good but Where am I finding your root guide?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You could have used NewPCStudio with 1.5 tu upgrade to 2.1 but anyway, if you are going to follow Beerkan's excellent guide to upgrade to 2.1, you should only need the drivers (so Kies is fine!).

Try with Kies NOT running on your computer, then plug your mobile in (needs to be on obviously)... Windows should then automatically install the drivers I think, try another USB port if nothing happens

Upvote 0
Okay, well i found your root guide but my problem is,
I first installed Kies and I can't even switch my phone into the 'Kies mode' - I checked several tutorials online but it there's no USB option under settings -> Applications... :eek: any clues?
If you want Kies to see your phone, enable

Menu
Settings
Applications
Development
USB Debugging [x]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones