• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems connecting to the internet HTC Desire Z

l_1986

Lurker
Mar 9, 2011
Hi,

To connect to the internet I usually go "Wireless and networks - Mobile network - connect to internet" the word connecting would come up and the symbol at the top of the phone would be the two arrows pointing in each direction with the round circle showing the updates are also being done...

Now I go to connect to internet, the words "Use phone for data connection when wi fi is not available" come up and there's no connection and the internet doesn't work.

Don't know why it's changed, and am a bit of a technology virgin (OK perhaps not the right choice of phone but one can learn!) and have had a fiddle around and am still slightly puzzled and getting cheesed off with the lack of connection.

Any ideas would be welcome!
Cheers

Interesting - exactly the same as me - are you on the Orange network in the UK? I'm hearing some issues about the merger with Orange/TMobile act elsewhere (CIX). It is s being suggested that if you are on Orange that you should look at Settings > Wireless & Networks > mobile network settings > Network Operators Then select Orange rather than the combined one. And change it back of course if you go international roaming! Until they get together in the next few months, this is likely to be a real nuisance. However that is not an issue for me here just now.

Upvote 0
Also found this here - sorry - do not know how to copy references .............
My HTC Desire Z stooped working on the mobile internet.. No 3g etc..
Checked everything but could not find anything worry bar..
The APN's listing was missing.
I'm on Vodafone, so i phoned them and a very nice tech girl sorted it out with in 2 minutes!

For some reason all it had was Vodafone PAYG setting and not "contract" setting.

Once we had installed the right settings it worked!

Menu/settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Access point names/

Settings for Vodafone contract are:

Name: Vodafone Wap
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy: 212.183.137.012
Port: 8799
User: wap
Password: wap

Click save.

If not you airtime supplier.. Give them a ring for the settings.

Neil T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones