• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems getting into Recovery..

I am stuck with my HTC Hero and I need help to find my way out of the maze.

I was having trouble with my RCMix v2.2 WWE instalation, as I described here. I decided to flash a new ROM.

What I did:

I tried to boot into recovery but it didn't work. I believe recovery was damaged. I went to installed Rom Manager and tried to reinstall RA Recovery. When it was rebooting, phone got stuck in the first white screen.

Now that's where I am stuck:

Even though I try all the rebooting shortcuts, it doesn't load regular ROM and doesn't load recovery. It keeps showing the white screen with HTC logo and "quietly brilliant" slogan. And it starts it over and over.

If I try to go into recovery with power+home button it freezes in HTC logo on white screen, without looping and without showing "quietly brilliant" slogan.

My two options were:

1) Flash a recovery using ADB (files offered by Slug in post #6). It didn't work. I think that's because phone doesn't really goes to the point where the desktop software can reach it through debug mode. Doesn't know where to go from here. I go to Windows CMD line, in ADB folder and try to run "adb shelll". It shows me "Error: device not found".

2) Install a stock/shipped ROM downloaded from here. My hope was to start from a shipper rom and go from there all the way to rooting and flashing a custom ROM. The installation of a shipped ROM worked until the point where it checks the ID. Since I don't have a goldkey (and there is not way I can create one) it doesn't allow me to finish shipped ROM instalation. Is there an universal shipped ROM file which doesn't demand a specific ID or goldkey?

So... What do I do? Any one can give me a clue?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Even though I try all the rebooting shortcuts, it doesn't load regular ROM and doesn't load recovery. It keeps showing the white screen with HTC logo and "quietly brilliant" slogan. And it starts it over and over.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but have you pulled the battery out for a good 30 seconds before trying to boot into recovery?

I ask because you said it's starting over and over, which I'm interpreting as it seems to be rebooting on it's own. If that's the case, then it's not really shutting down completely and that would explain why holding power + home, or power + back (for the bootloader) doesn't work.

Reactions: gbonato
Upvote 0
Thanks Xyro for your quick reply.

I had left battery out for more than 30 seconds, but since I'm running out of options, it tried it again.

When I turn phone on regularly, it keeps looping into white screen with logo and slogan.

When I press power + home for recovery, it shows me the same: freezes in the white screen with logo (no loop).

When I press power + back button for bootloader it takes me the Fastboot/Hboot screen. But... What can I do from there?

Upvote 0

When I press power + back button for bootloader it takes me the Fastboot/Hboot screen. But... What can I do from there?

You should be able to connect via ADB whilst using fastboot.

Here are the installation instructions for the amon ra recovery image using that method. (The first step is redundant in your case).

adb shell reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img
adb shell mount /sdcard
adb push recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img
adb shell reboot

If I recall correctly, that will allow you to boot from the recovery.img file on your PC, rather than the possibly corrupt version on your phone. Then you can re-flash it from there.

Upvote 0
Well, here I am trying to boot RA recovery using ADB + Fastboot as described in XDA post mentioned by Xyro.

The problem is that aparently the phone is not being recognized by ADB. The Windows sounds give me a clue that phone is connected, but when I type "ADB shell" it tells me there are no devices attached.

Fastboot seems to recognize the phone, though. But it still doesn't go through:

fastboot.png

What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Xyro, I've tested everything and all the drivers seem to be running correctly.

I've tried "ADB remount" but it still returns the message "Error: device not found".

I've tried all possible commands using Fastboot, but all I get is an error message saying "Remote: not allow".

What can I do?

fastboot2.JPG

fastboot3.jpg

As you can see from the pictures above, recovery.img is there and everything seems to be working properly, except for the phone which is apparently locked for flashing a new recovery.

(I have tried to erase recovery but it didn't work either)

Upvote 0
That's unfortunate. You can see in the image you took that your phone is 'S-On'. That, along with the 'remote: not allow' error means it's unlikely we're going to be able to get adb to work in fastboot.

It looks like getting an RUU to work is the only option here. What error + error code, specifically, do you get when you run the RUU? Do you know what version of the official firmware you were using?

Reactions: gbonato
Upvote 0
Let me tell you good and unforseen news. My phone is back to work.

I don't know what happened. I believe I tried to boot it so many times that it decided to break the loop of the initial white screen.

I won't try to discover what happened, but I've learned the lesson: I will create my goldkey and be prepared to install an original RUU in case things go wrong. If I had the goldkey ready from the beginnig, I would have so many problems.

Thanks Xyro once more for all your ideas.

Upvote 0
Code:
$su
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img
#reboot recovery
Once (hopefully) in the recovery, scroll down and select Flash zip from sdcard, select recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1-update.zip and confirm.
When complete, select Power off then try booting back into recovery by holding down HOME while powering on. Fingers crossed, it will have worked....

this worked for me after repeatedly beating my head against the adb approch:eek:

now im rockin a pretty quick villainrom v13:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones