problems in the installing ROM process

Last Updated:

1. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok i downloaded all the files and the ROM .

I put flashrec on sdcard root and amon recovery or whatever its called now when i press backup recovery in flashrec it says backup failed could not run command

any help please

been reading a bit more and am i right in thinking that i have to do the goldcard method to install villainROM 12

im on 3 network

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yes, you're right.

You see, more recent versions of the 1.5 firmware were patched to prevent flashrec from working. So you have to downgrade to one of the older 1.5 firmwares (using a goldcard) to a flashrec friendly version.

Then you flash the recovery and use that to flash villain12 :)

3. adz63

yeah i have given up on the idea of putting a ROM on i tried the easy way and it didnt work and altought the goldcard way dont look to hard to do its still a mission . lol

4. Xyro

The process isn't too bad in theory, but it can be a lot of buggering about to get everything to work :p

5. adz63

right im gonna give it one last go lol

1st of all soz for all the questions but if ya dont ask ya dont find out

ok i found this site [PC Application] GoldCardTool - Android @ MoDaCo

if i do that method which seems a lot easier is that good enough for me to start the ROM process without downgrading 1st as it will then be goldcard method.ie if i do that can i just start straight off on the put flashrec and that anom thing on root sd open flashrec do the back up recovery .. not worried about backing up apps so i can miss that part then nandroid backup then ROM /WIPE /FLASH

LOL

Xyro likes this.
  6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Good man! :D

That's what AF is here for. Just bear in mind that once you've been successful you'll be expected to help others out. ;)

Good luck!

7. adz63

yeah i dont mind helping people out if i know the answer to the question . right im gonna try that goldcard method i found . if im not back within 3 hrs call out a search party

8. Xyro

Wow, that looks like a pretty handy program. I wish I'd had that when I made a goldcard :p

If you were to follow that guide, you would have to then install one of the flashrec friendly firmwares whilst the goldcard (your SD card) is in the phone. Then use flashrec. So you still have to downgrade. (But really, that's just sitting back and letting the PC do it's thing. Making the goldcard is/was the hard part).

I'd be interested to hear how well that program works; it looks miles better than what we've been doing so far.

9. adz63

where can i find a flashrec friendly ROM?

still not done the goldcard thing yet i had to hunt around for a sd card trhat my com would detect that took ages itself , just formatting to fat32 now lol zzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. adz63

xyro that program is amazing it literally took less about 2mins after format of sd card ,

the goldcard img came instantly and the process from step 2-10 really did take less than 2 mins

11. Xyro

12. adz63

so that thing from megaupload is a ROM that i need to download and put on before i can put villain 12 on ? and follow the procedure in the sticky in the thread on here

im gonna have a breakdown lol

13. Xyro

You have the goldcard now, right? All you have to do is install the firmware from megaupload like you would normally. Then boot it up and install/run flashrec.

Then you put villain12 on :)

(Of course, when you try to install the firmware from megaupload, that's when we see if the goldcard really works...).

14. adz63

lol android is such a mission symbian and apple are so easy to put firmware , etc on

15. adz63

hero wont stay synced lol lol arghhhhhhhhhh

i click run the 1.76 ROM as admin as told to but when the rom update thing comes up i just disconnect and cant re sync bet when i shut it all it syncs again

16. adz63

right am off now , i will try tomorrow thanks for ya help , i need to go before i start pulling my hair out

17. adz63

my hair is going grey lol sync keeps disconnecting when update starts to run

18. Xyro

Are you using windows 7? Vista and XP usually work ok but 7 can be a bit temperamental; you'd be better off using either of those two if possible.

You're almost there! :p

19. adz63

lol im using vista argh i have run the ROM i downloaded as admin and just run it normally and run sync as admin and normal once i have pressed yes and yes it says waiting for bootloader then sync just cuts off with no way of re-syncing

and then the phone stays on the white screen with summin like radio, 1.76 , and a couple of other things and at the bottom ruu usb which is highlighted but its not clickable with any buttons lol

since 12 today sync has shutdown everytime bootloader starts loading , nothing that any site says works ,

i quit

20. adz63

ok been doing a bit of searching and it seems that the ROM i downloaded has some problems with other people ... is this why my sync disconnects

heres a link

Can i downgrade/flash any rom to HTC Hero? [Archive] - GSM-Forum

theres a few people on there from what i gather saying that they could not put that ROM on which is the same 1 i got to downgrade

have also seen on various sites that the ruu utility does not work on vista unless you download and go through loads of stuff to install a different driver

21. adz63

ok i still cant keep connection it get to a white screen with this on it

hero cut ship s-on
    h.boot-1.76.0007 (hero10000)
    microp-010f
    touch panel - syn0104
    radio- 6.35.08.29
    aug 4 2009, 19:43:30
    ruu usb

i cant press nothing on this screen , none of the buttons do anything and as soon as all the above comes up my phone un-syncs . the box says waiting for bootloader for about 1min and then tells me .....error 170 sometimes 171 usb connection error

22. adz63

just called htc and their tech support is worse than 3's lol

getting real cheesed off with this thing lol

it wont even let me do anything in recovery mode , i just put recovery mode on to see what its all about and i cant select no options like wipe etc . i even put custom ROM on to let me see if i could click update.zip and it wouldnt let me lol

23. adz63

been seraching for error 170 and it seems that you only get that error on sprint phones or maybe ruu for sprint if thats possible , my phone is not sprint right , do i need a new ruu program ?

i spent 12 hours trying to get it to sync yesterday and searched about 300 web pages on solutions lolololololol arghhhhhhhhhhh :(

24. Xyro

No, you don't have a Sprint phone, you have a GSM phone. Avoid anything to do with Sprint or CDMA phones

That error exists for GSM phones too. It might be worth trying a different PC, or uninstalling everything (including the drivers) and starting again. With your antivirus/firewall off when installing HTC Sync and the firmware and so on.

You said you tried the flash update.zip option on that white screen. I have heard of a way to do this before. Basically you run the firmware.exe installer and it will dump the update.zip you need into windows temporary files somewhere, then you can flash that. Unfortunately I can't find the threads about it here.

Does anyone else remember?

25. adz63

ok i will uninstall all drivers and re install them and sync with my av n firewall off

if that fails i will pay someone to do it for me lol