• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems installing new update - 2.17.61.3

benjiharris

Jan 14, 2010
Hi guys,

Having problems installing the new update. I have an Orange branded HTC Desire, which has been debranded using goldcard. It also has root which I applied using unrevoked. I did not flash a new ROM though.
So I put in my old SD card I used as my goldcard, and then downloaded the update. I then click install and it restarts, begins doing the unpacking the box animation and then stops and shows a little Android with exclamation mark.
If I press a button it goes into the Recovery mode screen (I think this is what it is called) - called - ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7, and gives me options:

Reboot system now
Apply sdcard:update.zip
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition

Could someone please advise me what to do? I am guessing this might be due to me being rooted?
If I click on the "Apply sdcard:update.zip" option, am I right in thinking this is what I need to do because the update will have saved a file called update.zip on the sdcard?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you very much in advance :)

if your device is rooted, applying an official ota update is likely to break your device

Ok thanks Rastman. Can you (or somebody else) advise me what to do then please?
Is un-rooting easy? Does the fact it is also debranded matter? Because I have read in the past when you unroot you pretty much just flash a generic ROM? Or, because I already have the goldcard set up, it would let me install a generic ROM?
Or, shall I stay rooted, and when my exams have finished - install a custom ROM?

Thanks,

Ben

PS. I actually mean the 2.29.405.2 update for unbranded devices (as mine is debranded). Thank you!

Upvote 0
why does it matter for you to update? is there any specific reason?
you can flash the 2.29 if you want which will debrand it with froyo but if you are already on froyo it wont mean much to you in terms of functionality.

you could go for a custom rom, thats up to you. im just wondering the need to update?
there are not any noticable changes in the new built of generic HTC rom

Upvote 0
why does it matter for you to update? is there any specific reason?
you can flash the 2.29 if you want which will debrand it with froyo but if you are already on froyo it wont mean much to you in terms of functionality.

you could go for a custom rom, thats up to you. im just wondering the need to update?
there are not any noticable changes in the new built of generic HTC rom

Well I just thought if it irons out a few little bugs, then its always nice to have. I understand its not essential to have. But should the time come when we have a major system update (2.3 for instance), then I need to be able to accept OTAs.
On the other hand, I guess if I'm rooted then I will probably be able to flash a new ROM anyway wont I?
I am not a massive expert on rooting etc, so please be patient with me! Sorry if I ask silly questions!
Thanks

Upvote 0
Thats great, thanks for some actual constructive advice Eddy.
I do sometimes wander why someone can't just give me a straight answer like yours right away rather than be annoyingly awkward like certain other members on this forum.
For now, I think I will just keep it how it is and wait for some 2.3 ROMs to show up and think about flashing one of them.
Thanks mate

Upvote 0
lol as if i didnt help you, i asked why you were doing it and went to bed
at the bottom of my last post

"there are not any noticable changes in the new built of generic HTC rom"

thats a clear indication that there really isnt a reason to update.
I sorry if i cant answer you immediately considering it was late and i was helping other people aswell as doing stuff for myself
comments like that piss me off as if you click my name and click latest posts just read what im doing

Upvote 0
Sorry Rastaman, I didn't mean to cause offence. I just thought the tone of your messages last night seemed a bit off, but I guess it is sometimes easy to misread / misjudge something in a forum post.
Please accept my apologies, you have actually helped me in the past. No hard feelings man :)

Yeah Bitch ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry Rastaman, I didn't mean to cause offence. I just thought the tone of your messages last night seemed a bit off, but I guess it is sometimes easy to misread / misjudge something in a forum post.
Please accept my apologies, you have actually helped me in the past. No hard feelings man :)

none taken,
this is a wall of text, its best not to read too deeply into how people approach things.

The main reasons i asked the questions in the way that i did was to gain some understanding of why you were doing it so i or someone else could advise you better.
also its to make you look within yourself and ask yourself why you actually want to do it.
if you come up with not a great answer as to why then you can probably say to yourself "i dont really need this upgrade as the new one doesnt offer me anything and i currently have a fully functional rooted device ready to try lots of funky things"

ive said before to other people that sometimes i can come across a bit strong but its only because im asking direct questions.
My field is in server, software support so i take that approach to helping people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones