Problems logging in to school network

Last Updated:

1. Patney

Patney Member This Topic's Starter

I've been trying to log in to my school network on my Desire, but to no success. On my computer I have to input a username and password to use the net. This only works with IE and not Chrome, for some reason. I want to log in with my phone browser, but I always get a message saying that I need to install java and Cisco applets or something.

is there any way to log on my school network using my phone, or am I doomed?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

doomed. Sorry

3. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

Lot of schools use static IP addresses and you can't log onto them using your phone, at least that is what I was told by the it bod I spoke to at the school I work at.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Your school's IT department sucks.

Until your school's IT department sees the light about that nasty thing called IE you're doomed.

5. bearsfan85

bearsfan85 Well-Known Member Developer

try spoofing your user agent

6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I'm sorry but that's really NOT a terribly productive answer for the OP!

The issue here sounds like it's due to the manner in which the Cisco Aironet access points at the school were configured. This could have been done by the school or, more likely, by a company contracted by the school to install and configure the AP's. To me it sounds like they may be using a Cisco NAC server (or something equivalent) to perform manual authentication onto the network. My guess is that his authentication issues are probably coming from NAC and not from his IT departments choice in standard web browser.

If you are, in fact, trying to use the Cisco NAC agent then it requires Java in order to run. Without Java, you'll likely never even get to the point of trying to authenticate.

7. bearsfan85

Have you actually tried IE9? It isnt that bad, its no chrome or firefox but its a usuable web browser, plus the beta is still in its infancy. But there are some really cool features that I wish FF and chrome had

8. Patney

Patney Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to bring my computer if I want to use the internet at my school.

Also, as long as I log in with IE first, I am free to browse the internet afterwards using whatever I want, such as Chrome. So that's not really a huge deal.

9. bearsfan85

how do people on macs log in?

10. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

by installing Java on their computers... If I'm not mistaken Java is the issue here moreso than Internet Exploder.

11. bearsfan85

probably should have read the post above me in its entirety