Problems programming hotmail to MAGIC (Rogers)Support

Last Updated: 2010-03-22 19:24:29
  1. gst4r

gst4r Member

So for some reason after updating to SENSE UI for the Magic, I've had difficulties programming my hotmail into my phone. I'm not sure if its due to the firmware of if i'm simply doing something wrong. Here are my configuration settings (I'm using POP3):

Incoming Settings
    Email address:
    xyxyxy@hotmail.com

Username:
    xyxyxy@hotmail.com

Password:
    ********* (i'm 100% sure i inputed it in correctly)

POP Server:
    pop3.live.com

Security Type:
    SSL

Server Port:

Outgoing Server Settings:
    [checked] Login Required

Username:
    xyxyxy@hotmail.com

Password:

SMTP Server:
    smtp.live.com

Security Type:
    TLS

Server Port:

Does anyone know why it might not be working? Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. Maxxy

Maxxy Well-Known Member

Hi. The Hotmail is working fine for me on my Magic with 911/Sense upgrade. The only difference is in the SMTP configuration. I'm using port 25 with TLS. Give it a try.

Max
  3. gst4r

gst4r Member

Still doesn't work. It tells me that I can't connect to the server. I tried doing it on a different internet connection at a friend's place and even without using WiFi and still no luck.

Even if i continue the process, it gives me 2 emails which say "Expired Email" from Windows Live which I have no clue where its from
  4. Maxxy

Maxxy Well-Known Member

Is it only Hotmail that doesn't work? I mean do you have any other POP3 email address that you can test with?
    Another suggestion is try to set up a new Hotmail address and try with it.

I have 3 different POP3 email addresses plus Exchange ActiveSync all working fine.
  5. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

That's the exact same settings that I use and it works great for me. Did you manage to get through the setup of the account but are not getting your emails?

gbd
  6. gst4r

gst4r Member

Yeah. I got through the setup but it told me that I could not connect to the server
  7. GreatBigDog

Maybe its a DNS issue. Try using the ip address for smtp.live.com directly. It's 65.55.172.254

In case you want to try the POP server as well, it's 65.55.39.135

gbd
  8. jimrebello

jimrebello Well-Known Member

do you have wifi on? If so, turn it off and use your data connection, it will work. Once it's set-up, your email will work fine with wifi, but for whatever reason the inital setup has to be through your data connection, not on wifi.
  9. gst4r

gst4r Member

Thanks, I tried this and it worked.Thanks everyone for all your help!
  10. GreatBigDog

Your Welcome, Glad it worked for you!!

gbd