• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

problems receiving SMS messages from iMessage users

Hi all, I am new to these forums. I posted below as a reply to another device specific thread, but decided to start a new thread here in the general forum instead. (Yes, I searched first and didn't find anything quite like this).

My family just switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular (AT&T network) and we all got new phones. All except my wife previously had "dumb" phones on Verizon (she had a Droid Razr MAXX before). We got 3 Moto G LTE models and my wife got a Moto X (all run KitKat).

Since the switch, when my daughter receives SMS messages from her BF, who is an iPhone/iMessage user, the messages are broken up into multiple messages when she receives them and a lot of times are coming out of order. She didn't have the problem with her old "dumb" phone.

I am not sure if iMessage is breaking the message up, or some gateway between carrers is doing it (he has SimpleMobile for his carrier, a T-Mobile MVNO).

My wife also had this happen with some iPhone users on Verizon. In her case, it seems like it was related to the sender using emoji in the messages and or the length of the message (> than the 160 character SMS limit)

None of this used to happen on Verizon. Does Verizon do something at their gateways to piece messages back together or convert them to MMS instead?

For now, my daughter and her BF have decided to use FB messenger or something along those lines. My wife can't very well tell her friends not to use iMessage.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do about it?

TIA.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones