Problems sending large files

Last Updated:

1. jdw187

jdw187 New Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 22, 2009
    I've been havng trouble emailing pictures with my HTC hero ("unable to send mail" notices) and wonder if others have had similar experiences. The problem seems to be worse with anything greater than the lowest resolution. Even 400kbyte pictures are a problem. I assume this is just a file transfer problem, not a camera app problem (the app from which the file is mailed). Mails w/o attachments go thru 100% of the time.

I spoke with someone at sprint today, and the first thing they told me was that I need to have at least three bars of signal strength, then I was told that higher resolution pictures can't be sent from the hero.

Given that Sprint does not have more that two bars in most of northern new jersey, this is a bit of a problem. If this is true, I don't think they should be calling this a data service.

For the most part, internet browsing and even video like youtube and TED work fine, and most the time I can get an EVDO connection.

Playing with it a bit, it looks to me like the issue is maintaining a solid data link to upload the file. I'd expect better with a TCP/IP connection, as I've had some experience designing that sort of thing. Late at night, if I get two bars and set the phone down so the signal strength does not waver, I can generally send even a 5 mpixel picture that's nearly 1000k.

I've tried this with the mail set to allow up to 1000k transfers and with no limit on transfer size, and that has no effect.

Some specific questions I have are:

1) Are others having this problem?

2) Anybody have a solution?

3) Anybody notice if it's network congestion related?

4) Anybody know anything about messing with the TCP/IP settings like timeouts and retrys to hold a connection on a spotty rf network?

Any feedback appreciated

- jeff

2. impaler

impaler Member

Aug 18, 2009
    that sounds really frustrating.

1) I'm not having any issues, and I have the picture settings set at max (5MP). I've sent pics over both EVDO and 1XRTT data connections, along with WiFi, and never timed out. I've had between 1-4 bars.

2) Do you have any apps installed that are picture-related? Might want to try removing them one-by-one, and trying again. Also try WiFi, if you have the luxury of access to it. If you are having issues over WiFi as well, I'd say back your stuff up carefully, then perform a hard reset. I had a really aggravating calendar problem last month and after two weeks of unsuccessful troubleshooting, I just hard reset and it fixed the issue.

3) I don't think so. It will just send it, bit by bit, even if it takes a while.

4) I can't help there.
  3. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009