• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems Sharing via Text Message

amlothi

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Hi all,

I am using the stock HTC messaging app.

I am able to send normal text messages (that I type myself) and they work perfectly.

However, I am unable to share things by SMS to my friends who also have Android phones.

For example, I wanted to share an app with a friend. I went to the App Sharing application, selected the app, then selected to share by text message. In the message itself, there is some text and a market link to the app. After I hit send, I end up getting multiple repeated error messages "Message could not be sent. Retrying.." or something like that. And my phone continually beeps annoyingly until I go to "Unsent Messages" and delete the message.

This also happens when I try to share a location from google maps.

Is there a way to fix this? Is it a problem with my carrier not supporting certain types of messages? Is Android embedding some data in the messages (other than plan text) which might be causing the issue?

I had a similar issue with some advertising messages sent from my cell phone provider. Because I have an unlocked, unbranded phone, they told me I would need to install their software to be able to receive those messages correctly. Instead, I told them to shove it and stop sending me spam! :) However, now I'm wondering if this might be the same issue.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones