Problems so far on the G1Support

Last Updated:

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Active Member This Topic's Starter

There are quite a bit of things I like about the G1, but I have run into quite a few of what I would call problems (some may not). I am desperately wanting to love this phone but I'm having a hard time doing so. For a phone that is pretty expensive new and is even ~$200 with a two year plan in my area, some of these things are inexcusable. Perhaps I am missing something that is causing me to think of these things as problems:

1. The most annoying thing for me is the fact that the phone has no way to turn off the autolock feature aside from putting the backlight on for infinity which with this notorious battery life is not an acceptable solution. However, I have already talked about this ad nauseum so I'll stop right here. I will mention again that I am offering $50 to the person that makes an app to shut off the autolock if it's possible.

Solution: As of now, none.

2. Probably the second most annoying thing is the random occurance where you stop getting notification sounds for emails and text messages. If I restart the phone it goes away (for awhile) but comes back. I was told the problem was Lock 2.0 app from the market. This is not true! I uninstalled this app about a week ago and still have the sound problem at least once per day. I have just uninstalled dgAlert Classic (which I really hate to do) and SMS Popup to see if that helps the problems any. I called G1 tech support about this and they said it is a known problem and that their only solution was "to wait for a software update to fix the problem". :rolleyes:

Solution: None, as far as I or G1 tech support knows.

3. Another fun feature of the G1 is most times when I am in a threaded txt message conversation or GMail conversation, hitting the back button will take me back to the master list of threads. However, sometimes, maybe 25% or so of the time, hitting the back button closes the messaging application and puts me back at the Home screen instead of taking me back to the master list. Not sure if this is user error or just another known problem, but it can be somewhat annoying.

Solution: ???

4. The vibrate on this phone is terrible, the only "fix" thus far is to get dgAlert Classic which allows you to set the pattern of vibrate. Other than that, nothing. No way to turn up the intensity. At least the iPhone you could jailbreak it and hack into the registry and turn up the intensity of the vibrate.

Solution: None.

5. Sometimes switching from an application back to the home locks the phone for awhile. Very slow. Worst is when this sort of thing happens when I'm in the middle of a call, because then I can't bring up the number pad to hit "one for English" etc. This happened before and after I installed Open Home Full so I don't think this is the problem.

Solution: None, as far as I know.

I think that's about all for now. :(

Advertisement
  2. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Solution: Set back light for infinity and remember to hit the little red button before you put phone away. I myself dont have an issue with just pushing th button twice to get the screen to come on. I have even been on an emergency call (speaker phone) while texting myself info about injured person so I could relay it to medics when they arrived.

Solution: I have never had this problem, but if they say a fix is coming, maybe it is.

Solution: This has happened to me also. I think its just a glitch somewhere.

Solution: Do you carry it in your pocket or on a belt clip ? I wear mine on a belt clip. I dont normaly feel text vibrates but I do feel phone call vibrates. Has not been a problem for me.

Solution: Clear your browser and text message memory more often. This happend to me a couple of times. After clearing memories it didnt happen anymore.

3. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Hmmm

1. I don't consider this an issue, but to each their own.
    2. Haven't had this issue.
    3. I've never noticed this, but I have a theory. Keep track of the scenario. For example are you starting the app fresh, or being taken their when you click on a new message alert? Perhaps the method to get to the message affects how the back button performs? For example if you go from the home screen to the message using by clicking on the new message alert, perhaps that's why the back button takes you back to home? Again, a theory.
    4. I haven't noticed this as an issue.
    5. I have noticed this, but think I need to clear my cache, I haven't done that in over a month.

4. option12

option12 New Member

does the autolock feature in the market do what you want? it lets you set a inactive period. Mine is set so that I can press the power button to turn the screen off, come back in less than 5 min, and just press menu twice to be back where I was. It' not perfect but better than most....

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Active Member This Topic's Starter

No I don't want to press menu to unlock the phone. I want to HAVE TO manually lock it for the phone to lock. I don't want autolock of ANY KIND at all on my phone.