• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with Bluetooth and Microsoft Sync

gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hey everyone,

I have a Ford Focus with Microsoft Sync. Shortly after getting my HTC Evo I got it all connected to my car and could make hands free phone calls just like my old phone did. It was great. Then I went to the Bluetooth Settings and tried to change the device name from "PC36100" to "HTC Evo". Now it never seems to connect to my car again.

Frustrated, I went in to the Sync menu in the car and deleted all bluetooth devices figuring I would just start over. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a similar function on the Evo. Sync now sits there waiting for me to enter the PIN so that it can pair a device, but when I scan for devices on my phone it will often claim that Sync is "paired but not connected" or sometimes I can get it to prompt for me a PIN. When I enter that, it sits there "pairing" with Sync indefinitely. Other times the application seems to crash before I can actually enter the PIN, and the screen switches back to the "Bluetooth Settings" menu. Touching the button to pair usually gets me back to where I can enter a PIN (without crashing) but again -- it hangs indefinitely after the PIN has been submitted.

I have tried power cycling the phone as well as turning bluetooth off and then back on. I have also tried setting the option to make the device discoverable, but nothing seems to work!

Is there a way to blast all of the information that the Evo knows about paired bluetooth devices and start all over without completely flashing the phone back to defaults? I hope so...

We also have an Escape with Sync so I'll try pairing with that when I get home too. My old phone allowed me to store multiple profiles (which I named Sync-Focus and Sync-Escape) but it wasn't an Android phone. I don't know what's going to happen when I try this with the Evo but I guess it's worth a shot.

Nevermind...since I already have all of my contacts in gmail (which I purposely did before getting this phone since my old phone was constantly dying and I wasn't sure it would last long enough to pull off all of the contacts) it wasn't that difficult to restore the phone. I just set it back to factory defaults using the instructions here:

How to hard reset the HTC EVO 4G - Know Your Cell

And then reinstalled all of my apps and what not after that. It took about 20-30 minutes to get everything all setup and installed again but it wasn't too bad. It actually seemed to remember some of my link settings (for example, one account the photo was linked to a facebook account instead of the picture from his gmail account). It wasn't too painful...

AND SYNC WORKS AGAIN IN MY CAR! Hooray -- now I can have the phone charging while using it as my (voice controlled) mp3 player and making/receiving hands free phone calls. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I wish I had a better answer. I swear I went through every single option in every menu I could find on that phone, including the menus that open when you dial *#*#4636#*#*.

If you have all of your contacts saved in your gmail account it's relatively painless to reset everything. I connected to my wireless router to reinstall all of my apps which made downloading considerable faster than using 3G -- since there is a huge 4G dead zone in a 5 block radius around my house. :(

Maybe the menu that pops up when performing a reset has something in it? I didn't check...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones