• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with Calls/Texts and Internet

OhMeOhMy

Lurker
Sep 1, 2010
Since weekend I've been having endless problems with my HTC Desire. Even before that it's caused me to be mildly irritated regularly.

Firstly, and least annoyingly, the internet often fails to fully load the page I request, even when the display at the top is indicating 3g/3g+. The web address bar will half load and then stop and the only way to get the internet working again appears to be by turning the phone off and on. It does this 3 or 4 times a day. Also, whilst on the topic of internet problems, Google will often look to have loaded, but the location bit under the search box will never appear, nor will my default email address at the bottom of the Google homepage. When this happens whilst I can type in the search box, clicking the search button does nothing and can only be remedied, again, by turning off and on. This also happens a couple of times per day at least.

Secondly, since weekend, my phone has been 'crashing' (for want of a better word) mid-way through text messaging (very annoying if it's a long message as it doesn't save any progress). The screen will go black, signal will drop to nothing with a cross through it and then I'll be returned to the screen I was in previously. The same happens during calls - the phone will hang up, call will end, and the screen will go black with a line through the middle of it.

I've had the phone since May and, as it's Orange branded, is still on 2.1. To be honest, overall I'm becoming fed up with it - seems to have more problems than it does positives at the moment, but I'm stuck with it for a while yet it would seem.

Also, I don't find the battery to be much good (especially over the last few days).

I fully charged the phone over night and unplugged it at about 7:15. Since then I've sent 3 text messages and made no calls. The battery is down to 59%.

If I need to use the phone frequently throughout the day it doesn't last the working day.

Upvote 0
Which browser are you using? Have you tried Dolphin HD?

I would personally do a hard reset and see if that does the trick. See if someone else agree's with me first but it sounds like a whole load of problems to be just caused by a dodgy app or something else.

If you do go ahead make sure you back everything up first as anything on the phone memory will be deleted. Pics, vids and music should be ok as they are on the SD card which is untouched by the reset. If you've not got it already get an app off the market called MybackUp. Its got a 30 day free trial so you will be able to use it for the reset. Back everything you want onto it, reset and then before reinstalling anything see if the phone is working any better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones