• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with cheap earphones and Eris Music Player

I've had a ongoing battle with the aux-in cable on my car radio making the Eris go wonky every time I hit a bump; I kind of assumed it was a loose-fitting plug making the Eris think that the headphone has been removed (which apparently developers can use to trigger an action). And just today I used a new pair of headphones (not cheap) , and have had the Eris shut down Pandora a half dozen times, and even change to a different app that I haven't run in weeks. None of these things ever happen when I use my old faithful Sony ear buds.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "Went nuts"? I wonder if there was a problem with the 3.5mm male part....maybe it was a little too short or something? Maybe this is even a problem with your 3.5mm jack.

By the way...how long have you had your skull candy ear buds?

I love the sound quality and the fact that they're almost noise cancelling, but I've had 2 pairs and both of them had one of the headphones just stop working at around 3 months.

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen the other day by plugging in a headphone pigtail to an external speaker in the garage while working on the car. The music was jumping from one song to another and pausing, etc. I think it must have something to do with the spacing of the connectors on the plug. It works fine with every set of headphones I have used, headphone or not.

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me with AUX port in a car.
Here is what I've noticed:
When music starts skipping and jumping all over, the notification bar shows Headphones with MIC icon which should be just headphones icon.
All i did was unplugged the cord and plugged it back in and it worked fine.
Tried it on few different occasions and it worked every time.
I compared the length and spacing of the bands on 3.5mm jack and it matches to all my headphones, but it only happens in a car.
Don't know why its happening but could be due to resistance it sees through the phone jack.

hope it helps

Upvote 0
It definitely has to do with the connection, and specifically the quality of the male connection going into the phone. In my girlfriend's car, we had an aux. line installed at a car audio place. They put in a really nice, fat cable with a gold input. That worked fine until she got a charging station that the cable wouldn't reach. So I bought an extension from Best Buy that was a much lower quality, thinner line with a silver metal input. It works fine for her iPod, but if I plug it into my Eris, the tracks skip all over the place and it even sometimes opens apps that I wasn't using. It's like it becomes possessed. But if I pull off the extension and plug straight into the old, high-quality line, all those problems disappear.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem and I find the solutions ridiculous. Gold over silver? Every other device onthe planet works just fine if I use a coat hanger, but on my phone, if i twist the plug in-place it goes haywire.

Like another user said, it adds a mic to the headphone icon (nice catch!).

It does this with my radioshack phono jack in the car and it's much MUCH worse with my Sennheiser headphones. The Sennheiser's aren't exactly cheap. Something's going on here. Maybe it's an impedance difference? Some headphones have volume buttons on the cord, maybe it's sensing this as input.

Whatever the problem is, it is bad. Really bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones