• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with Chinese Note 3

Hi everyone,
I just got a Galaxy Note 3 from China. I've tried to delete all the Chinese apps, but I cannot add google play and Galaxy Apps just shows the Chinese ones. Also the search option on the web browser is Baidu and I can't get rid of it. Is there a way to change the phone to a UK system? Will rooting do this? Apologies, but I'm not sure what rooting the phone actually does. I do know that this phone has not been rooted before.
Thanks in advance.
KS

Could you confirm the exact model number of this Chinese Samsung Note 3, might help. Then we should be able tell you what ROM you might need to flash. It will definitely need rooting at least. Hopefully you haven't bought the N9009 version, for China Telecom CDMA/EVDO, because that will NOT work in the UK.

Also as it's come from China, can you confirm the kernel version string, specifically if it has "KST" and not "CST" in the build date and time. Just in case it's a fake. You'll find it in, settings > about device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if not a fake...

then you will need to replace that Chinese android OS.. with another android OS.. that allows you access to the things you want.
this new android OS will come in a "ROM".

in order to install or "Flash" this new ROM.. you have to first ROOT the device.
this will unlock the device so that you can do anything you want to it.

When Rooting.. there are many versions of the NOTE 3.
The ROOTING and ROM.. both must be developed for your particular NOTE 3.
the wrong one would... could... break your phone!

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones