• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with disabled apps

Hmm, so there isn't an option to just unselect automatic updates for Books and Google Earth

I guess I have to disable automatic upgrades for all my apps?

Yeah, I think you have to turn OFF automatic updates (for all apps) in the settings and then go and manually select the apps you want to automatically update by going to each app in the market and checking the "Automatically Update" box. It's somewhere near where you rate the app.

Upvote 0
This is a small example of why root is nice. With root, i freeze or backup and remove system apps i dont use. Freeze works the same as disabling in ics, but the nice thing is with root and titanium backup you can renove the market link so it will never nag you to update. For market apps like books and earth, just uninstall and be done with it. Its not a big deal i know, but its still one of the reasons to root even if you have no desire to install custom rOMs.

Upvote 0
i don't root. it's very easy to make a mistake and brick it while rooting, and while bringing it back to stock if you have any warranty issues.

stock GN is great, and these bugs will be fixed by an update anyway. i can wait. JMO :)

The only thing is, sometimes a particular behavior is a feature, not a bug, and you might wait a long time for a feature to change.

Upvote 0
This is a small example of why root is nice. With root, i freeze or backup and remove system apps i dont use. Freeze works the same as disabling in ics, but the nice thing is with root and titanium backup you can renove the market link so it will never nag you to update. For market apps like books and earth, just uninstall and be done with it. Its not a big deal i know, but its still one of the reasons to root even if you have no desire to install custom rOMs.

I'm rooted, and tried using TB to freeze the Backup Assistant app, but found it was still there and showing up in my app drawer and listed as a running app. It wasn't until I used the built-in app "remover" that it stopped always running in the background. I haven't tried it since the recent updates to TB though, this was back around 12/20/11.

Upvote 0
i don't root. it's very easy to make a mistake and brick it while rooting, and while bringing it back to stock if you have any warranty issues.

Not really, I've done it a bunch of times hahah. :( :eek:

There are even one-click unlock+root/re-lock+de-root apps out there.

The only time you can really brick it is if you pull the battery while it's writing the boot image or flash the wrong radio or something.

It's really not that risky as long as you follow a good guide and follow the instructions carefully. :)

Upvote 0
Not really, I've done it a bunch of times hahah. :( :eek:

There are even one-click unlock+root/re-lock+de-root apps out there.

The only time you can really brick it is if you pull the battery while it's writing the boot image or flash the wrong radio or something.

It's really not that risky as long as you follow a good guide and follow the instructions carefully. :)

i've seen too many "i bricked my phone during rooting" threads to try it LOL

with my luck, i'll turn my GN into a brick :eek: :D

Upvote 0
really don't have a reason to either, honestly.

why did you guys root? just to get 4.0.3? does it change your everyday experience with the GN? just curious :)

I do it for a number of reasons, but the biggest benefit to me (even if you're not ROM'ing) is that you can install clockworkmod recovery and back up your phone. Then all you have to do is copy the backup dir from the phone to your laptop/PC/whatever and then if something happens you can restore and be RIGHT back where you were. :)

Upvote 0
i've seen too many "i bricked my phone during rooting" threads to try it LOL

with my luck, i'll turn my GN into a brick :eek: :D

That's because too many people think brick means "phone won't boot" and they freak out. It is very rare that anyone actually truky bricks their device once they are using the tested and posted methods that make their way onto the forums.

I root so that i can have a nandroid backup also so ican restore my phone to a known good state--the entire thing. I root so that i can use titanium backup to remove things i dont want or use so they dont show in my app tray or start up on their own. I root so i can have control over my device.

Custom rOMs give you a different experience. It's not always about having the latest updates, it's also about having added features, quick settings in the notification tray, or over clocking, or underclocking, improved kernals for better performance or battery life. An Example is a launcher. If you like using an alternate launcher, with root you can install your alternate launcher and remove the stock one, so you dont have 2 running at the same time. Oryou can flash a rom that already includes that launcher.

Root isnt for everyone, but those willing to tinker usually find something or somethings that make root valuable to them.

Upvote 0
Books, Earth and Maps are unable to be disabled.

Maps now is running itself in the background for no reason. I don't have location enabled and yet when I hit the dismiss button to swipe them away Maps is always there.

Has anyone figured out how to keep Books and Earth from running?

And is the Maps almost constant running a new thing?

How does google make something disable-able and then has its own disabled apps reenabling and looking for updates.

:rolleyes:

4.0.3 please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones