• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems With Google Play (No Good Music!)

So initially I was elated to find that googles app store was expanding to include music books movies etc. I quickly started browsing through the music offered through google play, downloading an album here, a song there, and checking daily to see what the free song of the day was. As I browse more I'm noticing a LOT of music that I want to purchase is missing.

After a small bit of research I find that google doesn't even have a deal in place yet with Warner, one of the "Big Four". Meaning the Flaming Lips, The Grateful Dead, and a ton of other artists are either available in a very narrow defginition of the word (for example, I cannot download Do You Realize as a single, nor can I download Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 1 as an album, the only way I can get the song is to download THE ENTIRE soundtrack to Charmed (the TV show), which quite frankly, I have no desire to own) or, more often, they're not available at all.

My question to the forums is: Has anyone heard ANYthing about what google plans to do about this? I do not plan on spending another cent until I am confident that google play won't just end up becoming another google+...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones