Problems with PDAnet and question about rooting

1. htcwaldrop

htcwaldrop Member

I'm trying to set my wife's with PDAnet so she can tether on computers.

I downloaded the app to her phone and the software to her computer. THen I set the phone to USB debugging, but when I connect the phone, a message pops up on my phone that says something like "you are not signed up for Sprint's Wi-Fi" or something like that.

I looked and ended up removing the software and trying again. Same thing.

Any ideas?

Secondly, how easy is it to root the EVO shift? I'm not exactly "computer smart" but I'm not dumb either. Sort of in the middle. I don't want to screw up her phone, but I think it would be great for her t be able to use the tether.

Advertisement
    :
  2. crump

crump Well-Known Member

Not sure about pdanet, it's been a long time since I've used it and never seen that error. You could try easytether lite and see if that works. Your limited to what you can do on the lite version but if you get it working you can purchase the pro for $10 and have full tethering capabilities.

As far as rooting, what version of Android is the phone running? If it's running Froyo then it can be fully rooted and the process is fairly easy. If it's running Gingerbread there is only temp root available.
  3. htcwaldrop

htcwaldrop Member

K, I'll try out easytether.

I'm not sure if I'm running Froyo or gingerbread. I'm on Android 2.3.3 if that makes a difference.
  4. crump

crump Well-Known Member

Well that would be Gingerbread.. You can temp root and use wireless tether but you'll lose root access every time the phone is rebooted.
  5. ginglish

ginglish Well-Known Member

PDAnet works fine with the Shift. What you need to do is NOT select "USB tethering". That is the service that Sprints offers they want to charge for.
    Pick either Charge or Disk Drive. PDAnet will take over from there.
    Harfay and crump like this.