Problems with Power Button or Turning On the Evo

Last Updated:

1. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm wondering if anyone else has problems getting the phone to turn back on after turning it off. I know the power button works because I use it to shut the screen on and off, and I also use it to power down the phone and it seems to work just fine. However, when I want to turn the phone back on, it takes several minutes to get the button to finally work.

Advertisement
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic New Member

same problem. I thought it was my phone. I've had to resort to pulling the battery to get it to restart. only happened about 3 or 4 times

flukeSG2 likes this.
  3. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Hold for 5-10 seconds. Did it for me.

flukeSG2 likes this.
  4. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

No longer a contributing member as I was bashed by a moderator for providing helpful answers to topics.

flukeSG2 likes this.
  5. flukeSG2

Thats what I was wondering if there is a period of time you have to wait to boot it back up. Alright, well makes me feel better I'm not the only one experiencing this.

6. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Yes. Everyone new had to learn same last month.

MUST wait 15 - 20 seconds before turning back on. Phone still shutting down after screen off.

Wait, will work every time.

7. flukeSG2

Guess, I just don't shut my phone off that much, I've had it since release. Also I have to wait more than 15 - 20 seconds, it's around 1 minute.

8. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Yup. After turning it off wait a few seconds before hitting the power button again.

Sent using my HTC Evo 4G.

9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Just tested mine.... after I shut it off, I only have to wait 5 seconds. This is counting from the time the screen shut off as well. As SOON as my screen shut off, I held down the power button, and.... well it didn't take long at all. I have yet to return my Evo in exchange for another for any major problems yet. (Yes, my screen is separating, it's one of the first re-lease day batches. I'm holding onto it until I know there's a lot in stock and after I know the waiting list has gotten smaller here in town.)

10. suedinaz

suedinaz Active Member

Mine had the same issue. Anytime I would turn it off, no matter how long I waited to turn it back on (waited an hour once just to see) I would end up having to pull the battery and replace it in order to get it working again. I took it to the Sprint store and they did a hard reset on it. Now I can turn it back on within 10 seconds of turning it off, no problems. The tech at Sprint suspected it was due to the Lookout app on the phone. He removed it. So i don't know if he was right or not, but I haven't reinstalled Lookout.

11. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Thank god you removed lookout... you don't need anti-virus on your phone yet, not until Android starts to become a standard as a mobile platform, like Windows Mobile was/is. For now, don't use it, just as well as task killers. It's a good idea to HAVE one on hand, say if you have a rogue app chewing through your battery because it's locked at 100% CPU or something, but DON'T use it. I don't use one ever, (again, unless I notice my battery chunk-tanking on me) and I get a good full day of heavy useage. I stream music all day at work, sending lots of text messages, yada yada.

12. flukeSG2

Ok, I just put a stop watch on mine to see how long it took before I could boot it back up again, 1 minute 23 seconds.

I'm not sure it could stop the phone from booting up or not, as I've never heard such a thing, but I am running fresh .02 custom rom.