• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with speaking to callers

amg_1969

Aug 15, 2010
East Anglia
Hi,

my lovely Desire is giving me hassle again, when I call someone I can hear them crystal clear, but they cannot hear me, if I cut off and redial sometimes they can hear me sometimes they cannot.

This is a very hit and miss problem, I have just done a factory reset to see if that clears the problem, but was just wondering if anybody else has an issue like this?

Regards

Andrew

I have a very similar problem. When I speak to someone they often tell me they can only hear parts of what I am saying as if its cutting in and out. However, it always sounds perfectly fine on my end. I thought it was a service problem for a while but this happens even when my Desire shows full bars. I contacted T-Mobile to ask what it could be and they replaced my microphone saying it was probably faulty. However, it has been happening again. Its very unpredictable and I can stand in one place and make several phone calls and about half of them give me that problem. If anyone figures out what this is.... please tell me!

Upvote 0
I think maybe the problem still isn't clear. It isn't our call volume that is not working. Its the other people on many other phones who can't hear on their phone. Adjusting my speakers' volume can't possible change the sound for other people. As I said this happens even when I have a full signal and standing in the same place making multiple calls it happens on about 50%.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Upvote 0
Gogo, adjusting the in-call volume does affect the volume that the other person hears as does muting the call! IF you turn the volume down during a call the other person will struggle to hear a word! Out of curiosity, what is the sound like on speaker or via a headset (BT or wired)?

Not saying that this is the issue you are suffering from though :) Are you on froyo or eclair? Also, have you tried the factory reset yet? As this has sorted some of the sound quality issues other users have suffered.....

Upvote 0
I suffer from the exact same problem. It only happens now and again. It has absolutely nothing to do with any volume functions of the desire, as when it happens I phone the person back straight away and they can then hear me perfectly and I haven't changed anything.
I don't think its a signal problem either though.

Upvote 0
I suffer from the exact same problem. It only happens now and again. It has absolutely nothing to do with any volume functions of the desire, as when it happens I phone the person back straight away and they can then hear me perfectly and I haven't changed anything.
I don't think its a signal problem either though.

I think its a problem with the phone, but I cannot be arsed being without it for another 3 week period. Will give HTC a call and see what they say.

Andrew

Upvote 0
:thinking:Having this exact same problem. People I call tell me my voice sounds garbled and a lot deeper (like it's been scambled) AND it drops out. This is in areas that have a good signal strength - I am on Telstra's Next G network.
I've not had this device more than a week. Supposed to be a phone but not useable as such - go figure! I already have a device in which the phone didn't function very well. Not sure I need a second one.
Any advice?

ETA - I have been to the techie desk as the shop and this problem seems to be resolved now. Unsure of what caused it in the first place but I have phoned folk outside of the shop 'test' environment with no problems.

Upvote 0
I have HTC Wildfire & nobody can hear me when I call them. My phone volume is up as high as it can go but no joy.
I can hear the other people clearly.

I have just been in an online chat help session with HTC & they want my phone as it is still under warranty but their warranty is a bit sketchy & doesnt really say what they cover & what they dont so they will either contact me once they have my phone to tell me if it is covered or not & if it is not then I have to pay them GBP20.00 to return my broken phone:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi all.
I have a similar problem with CM7. People i call, can't hear me and always they call me back and everything is ok. I discovered that the "mute" button is grayed out at first, but if i touch it, activates and turns green. Touching it again, the people start to hear me. So it seems the phone initiates the call with the microphone muted.
Is there any one who solved this yet?
Also this could be a temporary fix for others.
After the called party pick's up, touch twice the "mute" button.

Upvote 0
I also have the same issue one the Inspire. I will try the the mute button thing if they don't get too mad and hang up first. Was this also an issue on cm7.0 not 7.1? I really like cm7 but I have to be able to talk on the phone for work purposes. I was trying go the CM site but today is black out day for SOPA so no luck for me today.

What about trying a different radio?

Upvote 0
I also have the same issue one the Inspire. I will try the the mute button thing if they don't get too mad and hang up first. Was this also an issue on cm7.0 not 7.1? I really like cm7 but I have to be able to talk on the phone for work purposes. I was trying go the CM site but today is black out day for SOPA so no luck for me today.

What about trying a different radio?
Well, the radio update did not work for me.
I use now Supernova_2.4.0.0.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones