Problems with Text Messaging

Last Updated:

1. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I select a person's name on my text messaging list, it opens to a different person. I accident sent a text to the wrong person because of this, oops. It's been happening since I got my phone for the most part, but it didn't start to bother me until now because it seems to be happening more frequently. Anyone fixes for this?

Advertisement
  2. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'll second this. I've tapped one person and it showed up another, like the screen was confused/misalligned.

3. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Are you using stock or handcent?

4. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Well, if it was an accident, it explains a lot. Sorry about my reply :p

I've had the same thing happen a time or two and figured I pressed the wrong spot until one that was like three threads away came up. Stock messaging here.

5. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I've seen this too. Watch the very last visible contact when you select someone. For some reason, on occasion, it will select him/her instead of the one you are actually touching. I'm not sure what is causing this, though.

6. tduke53

tduke53 Active Member

My Evo does the same thing, its really annoying.

7. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

Are the names next to each other on the list? If so, you may need to calibrate your screen. If the names are nowhere near each other on the list, perhaps you somehow accientally linked the two contacts together? I'm not even sure how this is done, but I accidentally had two names linked. It wasn't people I text to, so I don't know if that would cause this sort of problem.

8. Mixelplux

Mixelplux Active Member

I actually have this problem as well. Select most recently contact and the contact on the lowest portion of the screen opens up. I thought it was my palm touching the screen, but now I'm curious since I'm not the only one facing this issue.

9. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

I only text in Google Voice... So far I haven't had this problem (crosses fingers...)... The only people I allow to MMS me have my real number too...

10. kingjah2gz

kingjah2gz Member

I had the same problem with the stock messaging app and it also use to do it when i had the Hero so I believe it may be the app itself.I switched to chomp and now no more problems.Give handcent and chomp a try to see which one you like better.

11. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using the stock messaging app. None of my contacts are linked and they are not next to each other on the list. Do you guys think it's a problem with just the stock app and not with the software in general? I've had a number of issues with my Evo, but I'm afraid that if I take it to Sprint, they'll just tell me to do a hard reset. :(

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I got my Evo on launch day.

12. maximus192ad

maximus192ad Active Member

I have this problem as well. So far I haven't completely embarrassed myself ... just had to send quick apologies when I noticed the error.

13. Barats

Barats Well-Known Member

Yes as of recent, this has happened WAY too much. Sent a few wrong txts, luckily it was nothing important or anything to worry about. That kind of stuff can get you into trouble, lol. And the names were nowhere near each other. And sometimes it took like 4 presses on their name to bring the correct message thread up. Real annoying.

But that was with the stock message app. I have had no problems with ChompSMS so far.

14. xPhantom

xPhantom Well-Known Member

This happens to me too every now and then. I noticed that it only started happening to me after that last OTA update.

15. hendodo

hendodo Well-Known Member

Had the same problem...Doesn't seem to do it with Handcent or Chomp

16. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

I dont have this problem when sending a new text. But i do have a problem of the wrong text session being opened up when i tap on it just after i open the app.
    From the home screen, i click on Messages, then no matter what message i click on its not the right one. Now i have noticed this ONLY happens when i have a new message pending.
    If i open the app to send a new message or to send a reply to a previously viewed message its spot on. But if i get a new message and open the app it will not select the correct one.
    Stock Rom, no mods.

Glad to see i am not the only one having an issue with this.

17. unwallflower

unwallflower Well-Known Member

Yes, this happens to me to.

Unfortunately I don't think that taking it to sprint will help. I had the exact same problem with my Hero (one of the big reasons I got rid of it). They had me hard reset it, and they replaced it once and it kept happening. It seems to be a stock android messaging app bug, not a problem with the specific phone itself.

Really sucks, and you think they would have fixed it by now!

I personally don't care for chomp or handcent... so I'm just extra careful, as I have accidentally texted the wrong person a couple of times too.

18. OhioGuy89

OhioGuy89 Well-Known Member

This happens to me every once in a while. To get around it, I just long press the person i want to text then click 'View'