Problems with updating. Tried to unroot and it still isn't working.

Last Updated:

1. tony787

tony787 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Ally was rooted. I saw that a new update was available, so I unrooted the phone for it. It restarts and then the screen gets an exclamation point with a little Android. I take the battery out to restart it, and it goes back to normal without the update. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
  2. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

Did you remove stock apps? Do You have a custom recovery?

The update patches apps instead of using the find-replace method. So if you removed the stock apps thats why it failed. If you have a custom recovery that is another reason why it failed. custom recovery blocks OTA updates. to get the updates. follow this thread. you have to go back to stock.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

the bottom of the thread also includes directions on flashing stock recovery but ONLY if you have a custom recovery (clockworkmod or Amon_RA)

tony787 likes this.
  3. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation with my son's Ally. I used Universal Androot to temporarily root it so I could rename some of the stock apps using a .bak extension. The update failed.

Following the failed update, I re-temporarily rooted and renamed the stock apps back to their original names.

Where I'm stuck is... how do I get the phone to re-attempt the update? I've tried *#*#CHECKIN#*#* to no avail. I see in the thread linked above that a hard reset is part of the process IF you're flashing stock recovery. I haven't attempted this yet because: a) I haven't done anything to require flashing stock recovery or stock rom, b) I'm not sure if it is necessary in my case, anc c) I'm not clear if the hard reset will cause any data loss.

4. death2all110

You have to factory reset now. because the phone reports it is up to date. Sorry but that is the only way.

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks. I suspected that the "hard reset" referenced in the other thread was the same as a "factory reset". If I choose not to do this now, will the next update (if there is one) see what version I'm actually using and update properly, or will I need to have this most recent update installed first? If I'll have to hard reset eventually anyway, I may as well do it now.

6. death2all110

i dont think it will update properly because it will check versions and sha1/md5 sums and fail at that point

7. tony787

Neither method from the linked thread are working for me. I get a "fatal error" in the first one, and the second one does nothing.

8. death2all110

What do you mean you get a fatal error on the 1st one?

9. tony787

It's saying something about having a problem extracting the .cab file. The second option seems ok until I get to the last step. Typing "reboot" doesn't do anything. I tried "fastboot reboot" and it just restarts the phone with nothing changed.

10. death2all110

are you sure it flashed the stock recovery?
    did it say sending recovery.......OKAY Flashing Recovery.......OKAY? or what happened at that point? and i can help you with the 1st part as well just pm me

11. Yoda829

Yoda829 Member

Yep, I'm getting the same "fatal error" when trying to flash stock recovery. It goes through the updater with all the same info I saw last time I flashed (and it worked). It showed the current software as the VZB and that It was loading the VZ6 file. The phone rebooted and that was it. Still have VZB and the updater says it cannot update due to a fatal error and that I have to contact LG. Of course, when I click the contact button (for S$&#'s and giggles) It brings me to the LG site to download the updater but the update is only for the Fathom.

Oh, well. I should have either never updated to begin with or left it stock when I finally got the VZB update. FYI: I have no custom ROM's (as of yet), I am/was rooted with Universal Androot, and yes I did remove some stock apps with Titanium but restored them for the update.

Nothing works, not even hard reset/factory reset. I like my phone but it seems I will have to go back to Verizon for yet another refurbished Ally. Ugh....:mad:

12. death2all110

PM Me and i can help you out.