Problems with USB Mount...

Last Updated:

1. ejj

ejj Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all -

I just picked up my Droid today, and have been thrilled so far. Tonight I loaded a bunch of music (8 GB or so), but that turned out to be a major pain. I can connect my phone to my PC, mount it, and browse the memory card without problems.

However, after a few minutes, or an hour, my PC would lose the connection to the phone, and I would typically have to re-mount the USB connection on the phone, and even had to do a battery pull once or twice to get the phone to respond.

Any idea why? My PC is an XP machine, and I haven't had problems with any other USB devices in the past. I use a external USB HDD always, and its never had this type of behavior.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

First things first, try a different cable.

3. ejj

ejj Member This Topic's Starter

Should have added that...I've used two. One that came with the charger, and one that came with the dock I purchased. Same results...

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

XP had a setting allow it to turn off devices that were not being used - check and see if your USB connections have that setting in ... Device manager, I believe it was.

I think you select your USB connection, right click it, select properties, and then see if there is a power management tab. If so, see if it is set to allow it to be powered off (the default setting in XP).

I may be wrong about the location, it might be a setting in the properties page of the Motorola A855 device itself...or DROID, if XP actually calls the phone the DROID as opposed to the Motorola A855

5. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

This happens to me quite often with my droid on Win7 x64. There are no settings to change as far as Windows turning the connection off like typical USB devices. The only changeable setting I see is for write caching, but it appears to make no difference.

I think it may have something to do with the motorola drivers as I had no issues before transferring files. But once I installed the drivers to use adb, it started happening shortly after.