Process "0" and "1013"?Support

Last Updated:

1. Babbit

Babbit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Spare Parts show that under Network Usage, process "0" and "1013" are almost 100% blue. What are these things? My battery (even after the software update today) is terrible (~6-7 hour awake time) and I think this is the cause. I checked under Partial Wake usage, and there was nothing that kept the phone awake for more than 8 minutes.

Anyone know what these 2 processes do and how to stop them? I tried searching, but it seams like no one has a real answer.

Advertisement
  2. thatskaterguyy

thatskaterguyy New Member

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

PID 0 is the lowest level kernel process (such as the scheduler or whatever), 1013 is not reserved and could belong to any process and can be found by using Android System Info, free in the Market and why are you responding to almost 2-month old post?

Also, welcome to the forum!

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

that's pretty common. ppl find a thread via google and aren't looking at dates :) I'm pretty sure I did that a few times.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. planetj

planetj Member

I installed Android System Info... How do I see which apps are using "0" and "1013"? I can't figure it out.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Process 0 is starting point of the operating system - it's going to show high usage because it's going to reflect that the kernel is doing a lot.

The initial services start up and are assigned process ids in sequential numerical order.

Apps then get assigned process ids around id=100 and then go up into the thousands and 10's of thousands - as apps open, close, etc.

There's nothing magical about 1013 - it's some running app.

You can see your process ids using the ps command from adb.

Android SDK | Android Developers

Are you seeing some battery issue, high awake time, or symptoms similar to the OP?

7. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

I think the whole 1013 is kind of a bug with Spare Parts. A lot of people see that, as can be seen from a google search. I've seen it myself, for that matter. If it was a PID, that would be a heck of a coincidence. PIDs are not that consistent, with the exception of the first few (0 and 1 for example have to always be the same). 1013 is likely a UID, as was basically said before. All processes run under a specific UID. Anything in the 1000 range is reserved. Whenever you see "Android System" for example, it's running under UID 1000. That doesn't mean you can find it running using ps with the number 1000. That isn't it's PID. 1013 is the reserved UID for some media process, apparently. I think what it reports is a bug with Spare Parts. It causes it to force close, anyway. The same can happen with non-reserved UIDs. Under partial wake usage, I see 10019. Anything in the 10000 range is for other apps. All running apps are running under a specific UID. It would seem that some of them use the same UIDs even though those in this range are apparently not reserved. 10019, for example, is gapps. Every time I see it in partial wake usage (even though it's only a few seconds or a minute) I can trace it down to gapps. Now, if I go look for the gapps process, I can see that it running as PID 616. That number is somewhat arbitrary, and will not the same every time I look.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. planetj

planetj Member

On my phone, "0" and "1013" do not keep the phone awake, but they do use a lot of internet traffic. (used to keep it awake 100% of the time as well, but that stopped when I turned off syncing of "picasa" in my google account)
    When I check now in trafficstats, it says it's "settings" using the internet, which covers a lot of things, like syncing for example.
    Hope I can figure out excactly what it is, so I can turn it off.