Processor temperature seems high...

Last Updated:

1. nofxdan

nofxdan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday I rooted and installed the new Bugless Beast. While using the wifi tether app today, I noticed my processor getting fairly warm. Concerned, I downloaded TempMonitor. Without any overclocking at all, my processor was consistently running at around 44*C/111*F. The battery temperature hovers around 27-38*C.
    Why does my phone run so hot? Should I be worried? Some people have said the processor in the droid can handle temps approaching 100*C (!!!), is this correct?

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Your processor is fine. While it says in the TI papers that it can handle 100C, I think the highest people have seen is around 65C (Tas saw that at 1.35GHz).

Just don't let your battery get near 60C.

3. nofxdan

Phew! Thanks, Fabolous.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

44 is high-ish but not really dangerous, personally i'd start to worry if I saw anything over 50, but I'm a worry-wart like that heh.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Still, this is a passively cooled device, so temps higher than 50ish will probably feel a tad uncomfortable....

6. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Yeah, it starts to get a little uncomfortable.

I set my failsafe at 50 to be safe.

7. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

Honestly, when i initially rooted and o/c'd, I was running similar temperatures to you and perhaps a little higher based on workload. It concerned me as everyone else seemed to be running significantly cooler. Well, I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall of a rooted rom (BBeast) and I am now running temperatures similar to everyone else. Even overclocked at 1100Mhz, I have to work pretty hard to hit 110+ whereas I felt like I lived there prior (when at 800), even without significant workload. If your concerned, which you shouldn't be too concerned, you could always do a clean wipe and install. It's not a bad idea when installing a new rom anyways (as opposed to installing a new version of the same rom).

8. nofxdan

Now I have a new issue -- My battery temperature is showing up as 36*C, and my processor temp is listing as -1*C. I find this highly unlikely haha

9. Fabolous

You're running Beast 0.7.6? Uncheck CPU temp. It's not supported with that kernel.

10. nofxdan

I'm running whatever build was new this morning. It was working fine until about 10 minutes ago.

11. Fabolous

Huh, well it's behaving the way it's supposed to now. Pete's kernel doesn't have Tas' CPU temp code in it (even though I think it says in the release notes that it supports it). If you look in the release thread, everyone is getting the -1F temp reading.

12. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

my phone is running cold at 1ghz! not bad! i mean i am not messing with it a lot right now, but i am impressed! pete is sweet

13. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member