"Program Monitor" Alt/Battery Life/Switch Pro - My Experience

Last Updated:

1. Andrzey

Andrzey Active Member This Topic's Starter

First off I love my Epic, there seems to be no real problems that I have not caused myself.

Anyway to answer my own question last week about a Samsung Program Monitor alternative - I have found TasKiller (not TaskKiller) - It has an ignore list function so I can get it to mimic Program Monitor and I think I like it better.

It comes with a widget that shows the number of processes running to a max of 5 and then just displays and X (oh well)

First time I ran it, it killed all processes, no problem I thought and left it overnight with 100% charge, woke up about 8 hours later with %25 drain, WTF, I usually loose less than %5.
    I must also mention I turn off data overnight. (sometimes background data sync)
    I Thought the widget was to blame, removed widget/restarted killed only the things I know about Amazon, Sprint, Market etc.
    That night back to the normal drain ~%5.

Today I read posts about killing GTalk will zap battery, this makes sense as that is what I effectively did when I had the massive batt drain.
    I thought to myself how can a Widget use this much power????
    Then I remember why I thought this because the same thing happened when I installed Switch Pro a got 30% drain over night - That app went the way of the Dodo real fast.
    I now use Quick Settings it turns the 3G and WiFi on way faster than Switch Pro anyway with no significant battery drain I can tell of, it just has no widgets.
    Anyway back to the point in hand, I turned on the TasKiller widget again today and so far have noticed no significant drain(running 5 hours so far).
    I will watch overnight and report back on my findings.

I guess to speculate, the more stuff you have running the more you will drain the battery, explains the complaints about task killers. Some apps are written better than others and close attention should be paid to what is installed and the side effects. (Switch Pro in my case)
    I guess I am lucky with my battery or I just don't have much running, but what I do know for sure is doing nothing on my phone overnight I should always only lose my ~%5. Anything more is unacceptable.
    During the day I can drain my phone in 2 hours without really trying - it all depends what I am doing.

It does irk me that applications are rude enough to start themselves up, other applications that remain in memory after exiting. The excuse of startup time is unacceptable as I hardly notice startup speeds as opposed to applications hogging memory gradually slowing down my phone over time. (This lame argument is better suited to programs that are always active not on demand applications)

There I feel better:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. Andrzey

Andrzey Active Member This Topic's Starter

I left the TasKiller widget running last night, killed all the recommended stuff DRM and MediaHub, etc. Turned off all 3G, Wifi and Background data synch.
    The only other widgets running are Beautiful Weather and Keep Awake (off).
    Went to bed at 96% woke 8 hours later at 94%.
    I guess the offender was killing GTalk

The only service that started itself overnight was Sprint TV - I guess sprint assume I might wake up wanting to watch TV while driving into work?

3. keekah

keekah New Member

Why does killing gtalk drain the battery?

4. swanysto

swanysto Well-Known Member

If you like that program, try TaskPanelX.