Project Butter

1. Paradoxx

Paradoxx Well-Known Member

Well Android Jelly Bean 4.1 is out now it looks phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!!! Great UI & Performance improvements. But sadly this only adds to the fragmentation of the Android Community I'd wish google would wait a little longer to update the OS or I wish manufacturers would not produce as many phones and focus more on update to the current OS any thoughts?

Advertisement
    :
  2. lMonsterl

lMonsterl Well-Known Member

It's not googles fault. It's the manufacturers. the new version has some sweet new features
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Paradoxx

Paradoxx Well-Known Member

Yea I know its not, but It sucks that the android community is so broken up. I understand some of the manufactures reasoning such as Motorola saying that it wont update their phones if it wont improve it.
  4. k28king1

k28king1 Well-Known Member

The oem's don't want to update because it cost labor. If they don't see a benefit in updating to the newer os they wont . It cost them $, plain and simple... they want to make money not spend it. What Google needs to do is update their licensing agreements with the oem's is that they have to keep the phone updated in a timely manner within the phones first 20 month life cycle. There would still be fragmentation but it would not be no where near what it is now. This would force manufacturers to release fewer phones but also would have them focus more on the existing ones. Why update an old phone when they can release a new one with new software for outrageous prices. The problem in the android community lies solely with the OEM's and the carriers...not Google.
    Paradoxx likes this.
  5. asadullah

asadullah Well-Known Member

That's what was supposed to happen with honeycomb. The new devices would have to be able to update for two releases. Maybe that's it ics and up.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The manufacturers are already required to keep it updated for an 18 month period.

The jump from gingerbread to ics was huge. 2.3.x to 4.0

Ics to jb is 4.0 to 4.1.

If your device has ics, it will be getting jb. If it doesn't have ics yet...
  7. k28king1

k28king1 Well-Known Member

The oem's were never "required" to update within 18 months, it was only a guideline set out by Google which was hard for them to enforce because it was not in the license agreement. Manufacturers still control ota's.. it needs to be Google who pushes the updates, and the OEM should be responsible for supplying Google with hardware and software configuration files so that they can upgrade. Google is learning to be a step ahead of the oem's but its going to take time for them to regain control.