1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Project management / business applications? Good money management app?

Last Updated:

1. akdms

akdms Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a personal (HTC Touch Pro) and business phone (iPhone). With Sprint now offering unlimited any-mobile (freeing up 1300+ minutes a month on my family plan) and Google Voice allowing me to get a separate business number, I'm thinking about dropping my iPhone, and replacing the HTC with either a BlackBerry Tour or a Hero. I work in project management; I know that the BB does have applications that would be useful to me (as does the iPhone), but I can't find comparable apps for Android. As a personal phone though, I would rather have the Hero.

Given that I've only been able to spend a limited amount of time browsing the Android Market in a Sprint store, I was hoping someone here might know of some good replacements for my "must have" apps.

1) PIM / Task management. I have a lot of tasks, meetings, and deadlines to manage. I need something similar to the functionality provided by Outlook. I currently use Pocket Informant on the iPhone, which allows me to view multiple calandars, see my schedule from the month-level view, and integrate my to-do lists. I can also assign calander events and to-do tasks to projects, give them priority, provide extra notes, add multiple reminders, etc.. I could probably live with the Android's calander, but I definately need a good to-do app.

2) Time tracking. I have an app on the iPhone (TimeLogger) that lets me track how much time I spend on projects for clients. The one I currently use allows me to start a timer and then come back later to stop it, which is helpful but not a must.

3) Personal finance manager. I track all of my purchases, have several accounts / cards, and need to be able to track/filter business vs personal purchases.

Are there any replacements for these apps? Like I said, I've spent some time looking for them on a demo Hero, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. h8154293

h8154293 Member

1. I use astrid Astrid Task/Todo List v2.10.1 Application for Android | Productivity but doit is also a good to do program DoIt v1.9.1 Application for Android | Productivity

2. I use timecatcher i like it because it also allows you to add the time you spent talking to a client on the phone. also has the ability to start the timer then come back later TimeCatcher v0.9.1 Application for Android | Productivity

3. I use easymoney, i tried many but lacked alot of things havent tried to filter business with personal yet but good program overall EasyMoney v1.2.11 Application for Android | Finance

3. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

For the third one: I use Cashew. It works just like a digital checkbook, can track several accounts, and track transfers between accounts. It keeps a running total of each account as well as a total of all the accounts. It even shows income as white text and expenses as red for easy viewing.

The only drawback I've encountered is the fact that I had to manually enter all of the categories for both income and expenses.

4. Andriy Zakharchuk

Andriy Zakharchuk Member

Hello,

just was searching what people say about Cashew on the forums and noticed your message :)

Do you mean that you'd like to have Cashew installed with a sample data, particularly sample categories tree? So user can not enter everything from scratch, but just correct some predefined set of categories.

In the future please drop us a line about features you would like to see in future Cashew versions, problems you've encountered and so on. You can use Cashew topic on this forum (we are constantly monitoring it), or support form on our site.

Thank you in advance.

5. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Re #1, a sophisticated todo/project management app: Like you, I was quite dependent on Pocket Informant on the iPhone. Nothing close to that yet on Android, so I'm awaiting PI on our platform. Meanwhile, I try to get stuff into the native cal, which ensures syncing and thus minimizes potential data loss. Toward that end, Calendar Add Event lets me create an event quickly in a no-fuss manner. PhoneLogger auto-dumps all calls and SMS into the cal I designate (ie, Communications); it's the only one that actually lists "Missed Call" within the event title, making it dirt easy for me to handle such and add notes as I go along; also has a clickable phone number. Note Everything Pro allows me to make lists, which can be one-tap dumped to the cal; also permits status bar notes with alarms. List Plus handles my proximity-related todos. ... Tried both Astrid and RTM, but neither satisfied me. I initially resisted a hodgepodge collection, but turns out, the overall scheme works quite well during busy workdays.

Re #2, I concur with Time Catcher. That little app evens catches calls for billable purposes.

Re #3, a personal finance manager-- gba Money Tracker works for me. Caveat: I can see where the wealth of input options might turn off the casual tracker. But for self-employed folks, dealing with related tax forms, it's a stone cold gem.

6. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Just discovered this afternoon: Shuffle, by Andy Bryant. Free, open source, no ads. Good looking **and** very functional. Includes integration w/gCal, swipe-to-right on item to mark it complete. Definitely worth your time to check out if you're looking for a GTD-friendly PIM, or a good ToDo app with Project awareness.

Also, checked Pocket Informant's site. They're working on the Android version. Still no ETA.

7. spinwarp

spinwarp New Member

Sorry to revive this old thread but if you're (still) looking for a comprehensive and professional Android time tracking app, this is from the Business Time - time tracking productivity app for Android mobile phones website:

* Time sheet emails for easy invoicing
    * Photos to ensure you keep accurate visual records
    * Voice memos to minimise typing
    * Projects to easily manage related tasks
    * Maps to monitor time spent in each location
    * Tags to see how much time you spend on similar tasks
    * A to-do list to keep you focused
    * Integrated address book to make it easy to contact clients
    * Backup & restore functions to keep your data safe

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the app! Please contact me if you have any questions or feature requests!