• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Project Ten Dollar

rwZephyr

Apr 25, 2010
Vancouver Island, Canada
So, EA wants to charge you $10 to play online if you buy a used game. Now I've accepted the $70 for XBL but another 10 just to play a game... thats asking much. I know they used this method with DLC on games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Bad Company 2, and you know what I can understand that. You can still play the game online, but the free DLC they offer is only to people who bought the game new, thats a good way to push new sales and I'm all good with that.
But stopping ALL online play if you bought a game used is utter BS, especially for us who wait to buy games like NHL or Madden series when they issue a new game every year. I picked NHL10 up for $45 from a pawn shop after the game had been bought and sold a few times, quite a while from release, so if I do the same with NHL11 next year, I will have to pony up another ten dollars to EA, making it effectively the same price as a release day copy of the game, 8 months after its launched.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the article is here

I'm not a fan of sports games, but the whole push against used games really irks me. Used games are some of the reasons I can even afford to game in the first place, but used copies are really what got me into some great new series I wasn't willing to drop the cash on. For example, I first got into the Elder Scrolls series because I bought Morrowind used. When Oblivion came out, I bought it new.

If a game is good, I'm going to buy it new. Publishers should really focus on making good games rather than trying to nickel and dime their customers every which way.

Upvote 0
The only reason I bought BFBC2 new was for the Limited Edition which was same price as Normal Edition and allowed me map packs free. Even though the "map packs" are just old maps on different game modes which kinda makes me mad. I want NEW maps for ALL game modes. Not just playing an old map on a different game mode. But it's whatever since I don't have to pay for them really.

Upvote 0
So, EA wants to charge you $10 to play online if you buy a used game. Now I've accepted the $70 for XBL but another 10 just to play a game... thats asking much. I know they used this method with DLC on games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Bad Company 2, and you know what I can understand that. You can still play the game online, but the free DLC they offer is only to people who bought the game new, thats a good way to push new sales and I'm all good with that.
But stopping ALL online play if you bought a game used is utter BS, especially for us who wait to buy games like NHL or Madden series when they issue a new game every year. I picked NHL10 up for $45 from a pawn shop after the game had been bought and sold a few times, quite a while from release, so if I do the same with NHL11 next year, I will have to pony up another ten dollars to EA, making it effectively the same price as a release day copy of the game, 8 months after its launched.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the article is here

$70 for XBL? Are you on some kind of drugs? Lol, it's $49.99 for 12 months of XBL Gold. I never pay over $35 when I buy them off eBay and I get 13 month cards.

As for the rest, I agree with your statement b/c I also purchase EA sports games later than release (used from eBay) and it really sucks that they have to apply a $10 fee for us to play online. I feel that EA is nickel and diming us b/c they see no profit from those purchasing their games used.

Upvote 0
$70 for XBL? Are you on some kind of drugs? Lol, it's $49.99 for 12 months of XBL Gold. I never pay over $35 when I buy them off eBay and I get 13 month cards.

As for the rest, I agree with your statement b/c I also purchase EA sports games later than release (used from eBay) and it really sucks that they have to apply a $10 fee for us to play online. I feel that EA is nickel and diming us b/c they see no profit from those purchasing their games used.

Canadian Prices are a bitch.

Upvote 0
hmm, i've never really thought about using ebay. i normally forget my subscription is expiring and then bam, its over, and i'm all "OMFG NOOO! MUST KILL NOOBZ, HEDSHOT, PWND!, MUST TEABAG NOOB, ZOMFG I NEED LIVE NOW!!!"

lulz.

seriously the last time i went out and bought my xbox live subscription card i forgot i had it for a month and a half... ebay is a really good idea though. :)

EA doing that is total BS though, I think I'm done buying EA games for a while, well, maybe, do they have anything good coming out soon?

Upvote 0
seriously the last time i went out and bought my xbox live subscription card i forgot i had it for a month and a half... ebay is a really good idea though. :)

EA doing that is total BS though, I think I'm done buying EA games for a while, well, maybe, do they have anything good coming out soon?

It's totally worth it too. You get to save about $10-15 on XBL annual subscriptions and get an extra month nonetheless.

EA has Madden coming out in August (as usual) and Dead Space 2 at the end of the year. Nothing else that I can think of at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones