Prolonged Battery Charging ~ Yes, I believe it is SafeSupport

Last Updated:

1. kalpik

kalpik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome! Thanks for taking the pains to actually test it in real life :)

Advertisement
  2. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

Many thanks. We'll see if the US versions are under the same rules, but it's nice to know something at least.

3. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Prior to getting the Galaxy S, after I read what Samsung were saying in the manual of not to overcharge, I investigated the reasons and wrote in various topics on the battery and the differences between Li-Ion & Li-Pol battery types.

At that point with all the evidence found it made sense to believe that what Samsung were saying in not to overcharge was accurate.

Basically, at that time it was believed the phone used a Li-Pol, Li-Pol batteries are different in that they are 'wet cell' as opposed to Li-Ion which are 'dry cell' charged.
    Li-Pol can be manufactured much thinner but can not be manufactured in different shapes.
    This is to allow the wet cells whilst under charge which become hot to move around the battery freely. If a Li-Pol was manufactured in different shapes like Li-Ion it would create a 'hot-spot' in an area where the wet cell could not move fluidly around the remainder of the battery.

However, it has now come to light that this is not the case and that the batteries provided with the phone are indeed Li-Ion.

Anyway, moving on to the present.......
    After now getting the phone and doing a bit of testing I have found the overcharging issue NOT to be an issue.
    When you commence a charge on the phone the icon changes to a charge state.
    However, once the battery has reached maximum charge capacity the battery icon automatically changes to a 'Non-Charge' state and then the phone simply runs off it's own battery. This is despite the phone is still connected to the charger.... It's just that the charger although still attached is no longer charging the battery.
    As soon as the battery falls below a certain figure (I've had different figures ranging from 98% right down to 91% which is probably due to whatever the phone is doing at that particular time to wake the phone up from realizing "hey, you are still attached to a charger, now wake up and start charging again").

So to all of us who have been worried about overcharging, my personal advise is to NOT worry and charge as and when you feel the need.

Hope this helps.
    Beards

singsong likes this.