• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Promblems Flashing ROMS with CWM and Aloha 1.2.4

joelshort

Dec 1, 2010
I'm currently running Punishers ROM on my phone, so obviously I've been able to flash ROMS before. To make a long story short, I had used ROM Manger (clockworkmod recovery) to flash ROMS, but recently flashed drellisdees Aloha recovery 1.2.4. Since then, I cannot flash ROMS from within ROM Manager. I've tried to install (from SD) both a stock ROM and Velocity .3, but when I choose to install a ROM from SD and the phone reboots, it goes into Aloha recovery. So I hit reboot phone and when the phone reboots Punishers ROM is still loaded.

Am I missing a step in Aloha recovery? How does one flash ROMS from within Aloha recovery itself? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. but I just can't figure it out.

Clockwork Mod- You can only use recoverys made by Clockwork itself. Also, Clockwork mod will not mount an sd-ext partition without remounting it manually once in the recovery.

Dres' Aloha- In my opinion, the most powerful and more reliable choice. To flash roms, first place the Rom .zip on your Sd card (place it in the root for simplicity sake. Then, reboot into the recovery and BACKUP using the Backup/Restore. Then, I choose nandroid + sd ext (as this backs up both the a2sd and the the rest of the rom). After the backup is finished, then push the vol down button to back out. Click wipe. Now, wipe the following : Data, sd-ext, cache, and dalvik cache. Now, vol down again, and navigate to flash from zip. Find the zip file for the rom you want to flash. After its finished, vol down, and click reboot phone. To Restore a rom, you must clear the data, sd ext, ect. before you perform the backup. Keep in mind that the file names for the backups are named according to the date and type of backup you made. I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Clockwork Mod- You can only use recoverys made by Clockwork itself. Also, Clockwork mod will not mount an sd-ext partition without remounting it manually once in the recovery.

Dres' Aloha- In my opinion, the most powerful and more reliable choice. To flash roms, first place the Rom .zip on your Sd card (place it in the root for simplicity sake. Then, reboot into the recovery and BACKUP using the Backup/Restore. Then, I choose nandroid + sd ext (as this backs up both the a2sd and the the rest of the rom). After the backup is finished, then push the vol down button to back out. Click wipe. Now, wipe the following : Data, sd-ext, cache, and dalvik cache. Now, vol down again, and navigate to flash from zip. Find the zip file for the rom you want to flash. After its finished, vol down, and click reboot phone. To Restore a rom, you must clear the data, sd ext, ect. before you perform the backup. Keep in mind that the file names for the backups are named according to the date and type of backup you made. I hope this helps!

THANKS! I didn't understand that CWM and Aloha are two completely separate things. So is there any point to keeping Rom Manager if I have Aloha?

Upvote 0
THANKS! I didn't understand that CWM and Aloha are two completely separate things. So is there any point to keeping Rom Manager if I have Aloha?

Rom Manager deffinately has its place. You can use it for various things.. One such reason is to first flash Cwm and then use it to flash over to amonra. This helps so that you don't have to install the amonra recovery the manual way. It was a pain in the butt. This method makes it very easy.Clockwor can do many more things as well so its good to know and understand both recoveries and their limitations.

Reactions: joelshort
Upvote 0
A agree in that Clockwork does make flashing that recovery MUCH easier. I actually really liked clockwork because it automates a lot of what you have to do manually and used it on up to Velocity 0.2 . My biggest issue is the fact that you cannot manipulate sd-ext partitions with it, even if you partition the card with Clockwork! Honestly, if that was fixed, and they added a dalvik cache option in the apk menu ( i know its in the recovery menu once u boot it up), I would rate it far easier and user friendly. But until that happens, my experience with these new Roms is that Aloha will save you lots of headaches regarding your ext partition used for a2sd.

Upvote 0
A agree in that Clockwork does make flashing that recovery MUCH easier. I actually really liked clockwork because it automates a lot of what you have to do manually and used it on up to Velocity 0.2 . My biggest issue is the fact that you cannot manipulate sd-ext partitions with it, even if you partition the card with Clockwork! Honestly, if that was fixed, and they added a dalvik cache option in the apk menu ( i know its in the recovery menu once u boot it up), I would rate it far easier and user friendly. But until that happens, my experience with these new Roms is that Aloha will save you lots of headaches regarding your ext partition used for a2sd.

I hate to be blonde but could you clarify a few things for me? :thinking: I'm fixing to try Velocity 0.4 & want to do a CLEAN & FRESH go of it. I've been using CWM during my 3 months of learning with my 1st smartphone(LG Ally:)), but have come to understand that Amon-Ra is the better way to go.

1. If I understand correctly I can use CWM to flash Amon-ra (Aloha) recovery 1.2.5 then do the send,menu,end thing & that will boot me into Amon-Ra instead of CWM?

2. If above is correct I could then proceed with the Amon-Ra way of flashing etc, & not have a need to use CWM for these tasks anymore?

3. How can I totally wipe out my SD Card (ext's and ALL) to start from scratch again. I run windows vista if that makes a difference in your advice.

4. Now feel free to bash me for asking what I'm sure is obvious to more knowledgeable people!:eek:

Upvote 0
I hate to be blonde but could you clarify a few things for me? :thinking: I'm fixing to try Velocity 0.4 & want to do a CLEAN & FRESH go of it. I've been using CWM during my 3 months of learning with my 1st smartphone(LG Ally:)), but have come to understand that Amon-Ra is the better way to go.

1. If I understand correctly I can use CWM to flash Amon-ra (Aloha) recovery 1.2.5 then do the send,menu,end thing & that will boot me into Amon-Ra instead of CWM?

2. If above is correct I could then proceed with the Amon-Ra way of flashing etc, & not have a need to use CWM for these tasks anymore?

3. How can I totally wipe out my SD Card (ext's and ALL) to start from scratch again. I run windows vista if that makes a difference in your advice.

4. Now feel free to bash me for asking what I'm sure is obvious to more knowledgeable people!:eek:

I just did this path myself, and only a couple days ago got Velocity 0.4 up and running, so I will try to help if I can. I had been using ClockworkMod Recovery too, but just switched to Amon RA when, for some unknown reason, ROM Manager started misbehaving for me under Velocity ROM. So I had to uninstall it.

1- Actually you would use ROM Manager, not ClockworkMod Recovery, to "Flash Alternate Recovery" (its toward the bottom of the ROM Manager display) and if you are currently using Clockwork it will list RA_GNM (which is Amon RA) as the recovery you can alternately flash.

Then, you reboot in to recovery with those keys you mentioned, and you would be in Amon-RA. Note that some of the control keys are different in RA than in CW. You still can move in the menus with the D-pad, but to select is now Enter (not OK), and to move backward one level is now the VOL-DOWN button on the edge of the Ally, not the Back key.

2- It is my understanding that you can use Amon-RA to do all the things you previously did with ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery together.

3- One of the things people like about RA over CW is that RA can access the SD/EXT partition and wipe it whereas CW can't access it once it is made. I am new to Amon-RA myself, and previously the way I did the partitions on the SD card was to download an ISO and burn a GParted boot disc. Windows won't let you format the SD card (AFAIK) and I couldn't figure out how to do it in Ubuntu either. It 'can' be done in Ubuntu Terminal if you want to spend a lot of time learning and typing in commands, but the instructions I found were 12 pages long. GParted is so much simpler. :)

However, within RA I see (under Wipe in the main menu) a choice to Wipe SD:EXT partition. And in the main menu there is Partition SD card. So you should be able to do all the SD partition wiping right from RA.

4- I would never bash you :). No matter how much I learn, I try to remember that I was always a newbie too at some point. If it weren't for places like this forum and its members being kind and helpful none of us could ever learn to do all these cool things! :D So I wish you the best of luck. If you get stuck, and can't find a way to fix it searching this forum, you can always visit the Ally IRC chat and ask for help live. Many of those folks will quickly offer to help you out. Dots, one of the VERY helpful members here, has a thread with a direct link to the Ally IRC chat.

Best of luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones