Proper ROM flashing question

Last Updated:

1. headbanger51

headbanger51 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got my ROM flashed for the first time courtesy of DroidReview on YouTube and more than a few of you on here. But in the vid there was never a mention of wiping the cache and/or partition while in nandroid. I seem to recall that somewhere else on here.
    Can someone tell me if you're supposed to wipe the cache/partition from nandroid before flashing a new ROM? If so, why (or why not)?
    many thanks!

Advertisement
  2. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Yes you're supposed to if you're switching between ROMs. If all you're doing is updating to a new version of the same rom, updates are fine, but make sure you read the disclaimers, sometimes even an update needs to be wiped.

Ex: Petes 1.0 -> to 1.1. Update
    Petes -> DroidMod Wipe.

Hope that helps.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I have gotten into the habit of doing a wipe with each flash, even the upgrades or just reinstalling the same ROM when I have problems. Do a backup of your apps and data and it is no big deal. Installing on a clean slate for me has been the most reliable way to go.

4. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member

Same here shrink, plus i always seem to gain plenty of extra internal memory and i have way less force closes, titanium backup does a great job backing up and restoring apps and data.You can also sinply back up everything on your gmail cloud, that has also worked well for me.

5. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

If Im not mistaken, DMupdater wipes your cache every time you update.

6. headbanger51

Just thinking about it shrink, I would think doing a wipe even between updates and "starting with a clean slate" would cut down on problems. I couldn't find DMupdater but I just downloaded Titanium Update and that seems like a good app. Updating with TU and exporting contacts to your SD card is probably what I'll do.
    How do you backup to a gmail cloud (all my email addresses are gmail)?

7. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

You phone should sync back up with your gmail data (it does for me). Not even sure if it Titanium backs up and restores my contacts (I just take for granted that syncing will do it). All my contacts are back after I flash. With Titanium, if you get the donate version restore is much easier as the entire system is restored with 1 button in batch mode.

8. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

So it seems titanium backup is th ebest way to back up apps? im not really concerned with contacts and email etc cause once you sign into gmail that all gets all restored. its just the apps that concern me.

9. headbanger51

Good to know about Titanium. Probably worth every penny. I'm all for easy. I'm still a little confused on my gmail contacts. But that is something I can figure out. The phone sync'd with "My Contacts" but not all of my contacts. Got into the settings and basically checked the option to sync with everything but only display contacts with phone numbers. need to disable the setting in my gmail account to add anyone I reply to or email to my contacts list.