• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Proposal/Theory for External SD storage solution on F6

@SantitasHeart
So you never got to the installation part? Try another way to partition. I've been thinking about making a zip to do partitioning for the hack, but that will require some time to test it out before I can release, if I even decide to release it at all.

If your SD card has been partitioned/formatted already (previously used for the hack) and you're just wiping the partition for a new rom, you can probably just erase all files instead. Check the 1st post of my own thread under Installation, Wiping external partition for the steps.

Upvote 0
I see. Probably not compatible without modification then. What rom are you using?

Unfortunately, I don't have any device that runs Lollipop, so at this time I am not sure how to proceed to come up with a solution. If a general solution (one that works for most devices) won't work, then an approach that targets the boot image (likely more device specific) might be necessary.

Too bad I don't have an answer for you right now. I'll look into this challenge when I have some free time.

Reactions: SantitasHeart
Upvote 0
I see. Probably not compatible without modification then. What rom are you using?

Unfortunately, I don't have any device that runs Lollipop, so at this time I am not sure how to proceed to come up with a solution. If a general solution (one that works for most devices) won't work, then an approach that targets the boot image (likely more device specific) might be necessary.

Too bad I don't have an answer for you right now. I'll look into this challenge when I have some free time.
OK not a prob i appreciate your efforts I'm on stock LG lollipop rom
The problem might have something to do with lollipop using art runtime. I tried using art runtime with carbon ROM and your SD hack wouldn't work with it. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
The problem might have something to do with lollipop using art runtime. I tried using art runtime with carbon ROM and your SD hack wouldn't work with it. Hope this helps
Hmm... crm701 mentioned in the past that ART worked (with hroark13's D505-based rom, I think), so I've never looked into compatibility with ART in general. I'll definitely put that on the to-do list (or rather, "to-check" list).

Reactions: SantitasHeart
Upvote 0
Hmm... crm701 mentioned in the past that ART worked (with hroark13's D505-based rom, I think), so I've never looked into compatibility with ART in general. I'll definitely put that on the to-do list (or rather, "to-check" list).
Well it may have also been a problem with the ROM too cause when I switched to art there were only about 10 icons in the app drawer after I rebooted.

Upvote 0
Imma try it on cm 12 see if it works I'm on stock LG ROM Right now
Probably a selinux issue like it was with KK before. The swap path error thing is probably something else, if you were using a swap partition before. For a CM rom, maybe try the init.d version. Not sure that the rom's init.d support would be trouble-free though if selinux is in full enforcing mode.

I've been a bit busy with other projects. When I do get some time to look into this issue, maybe I could set up an Android emulator to get access to Lollipop.

If a device has an unlocked (or loki'fiable) bootloader, another way to do the SD-partition-as-internal-storage hack is to modify the boot image. I know how to do this for the F6, but I am not sure how similar or different the other LG devices are to the F6. So I can't really say whether it's easy to do this for another device like the L90.

Upvote 0
Here is how I mounted external SD as internal storage. It's pretty stable for a month now. The only thing is I don't know how to mount internal SD or a second partition as external.

1. Root the phone
2. Install TWRP to backup
3. Rename /system/bin/sdcard to /system/bin/sdcard.disable
4. Keep a backup copy of vold.fstab
5. Change
vold.fstab
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host
6. Reboot

Attachments

• vold.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Here is how I mounted external SD as internal storage. It's pretty stable for a month now. The only thing is I don't know how to mount internal SD or a second partition as external.

1. Root the phone
5. Change
vold.fstab
6. Reboot
To better understand.... Can you please specify for what rom or device its this...
It will help newbies...

Upvote 0

1. Root the phone
5. Change
vold.fstab
6. Reboot

Thanks for help from some guys in other forums, finally found a way to mount external SD card as well. I'll start a new thread for this in case it could help someone

Upvote 0
My hats off to JVene for starting this out, and to the other devs for running with it. It's such a relief to have the extra space -- no more juggling a handful of apps in a constant install/uninstall routine.

I got this installed using the copy-install method, not using the init.d script. I think I didn't know what I was doing when I first tried this using init.d, causing the ext4 partition to "disappear." After several hours of reading...voila!

I do have a question, though, about simultaneous reads and writes. I've actually had to redo the installation because when I first got it running and was installing apps out of the Play store, the phone crashed and the partition again "disappeared." A few apps were in queue to download and install and when I went to open another app, my phone was slipped the Black Spot. I'm assuming the reads interfered with the writes, and the bleeps with the blips, causing the crash. My SD Card is a SanDisk "Ultra," so it's supposed to have at least a little pep, but is this truly the limitation? Is the card still too slow to be able to heavily multitask?

I see SanDisk now has the "Extreme Pro" for people who are extremely professional, and soon they're going to come out with a Ludicrous and Ludicrous Pro Plus Plus Pro that's said to go Plaid. Is this the cure, or is it the phone, or is it altogether unavoidable?

Thanks, fellers.

Upvote 0
My hats off to JVene for starting this out, and to the other devs for running with it. It's such a relief to have the extra space -- no more juggling a handful of apps in a constant install/uninstall routine.

I got this installed using the copy-install method, not using the init.d script. I think I didn't know what I was doing when I first tried this using init.d, causing the ext4 partition to "disappear." After several hours of reading...voila!

I do have a question, though, about simultaneous reads and writes. I've actually had to redo the installation because when I first got it running and was installing apps out of the Play store, the phone crashed and the partition again "disappeared." A few apps were in queue to download and install and when I went to open another app, my phone was slipped the Black Spot. I'm assuming the reads interfered with the writes, and the bleeps with the blips, causing the crash. My SD Card is a SanDisk "Ultra," so it's supposed to have at least a little pep, but is this truly the limitation? Is the card still too slow to be able to heavily multitask?

I see SanDisk now has the "Extreme Pro" for people who are extremely professional, and soon they're going to come out with a Ludicrous and Ludicrous Pro Plus Plus Pro that's said to go Plaid. Is this the cure, or is it the phone, or is it altogether unavoidable?

Thanks, fellers.
Well , It depends on what class you have . Take out the micro SD card and look for a number inside a sd. Then post back. It would be better to use anything above a Class four micro sdcard.

Edit: Oh and if you don't mind testing something . Partition at least a gigabyte of storage for a format called Linux Swap . It should make it a bit faster. This goes to anyone who's willing to try this

Upvote 0
Well , It depends on what class you have . Take out the micro SD card and look for a number inside a sd. Then post back. It would be better to use anything above a Class four micro sdcard.

Edit: Oh and if you don't mind testing something . Partition at least a gigabyte of storage for a format called Linux Swap . It should make it a bit faster. This goes to anyone who's willing to try this

I always thought I had good eyes, but that number is SMALL! I believe I have a 1 inside what looks like an upside-down croquet wicket. How funny. When I bought it, I figured, "It's only for storage."

For sure, I'll test that out. What should the partition order be?
1. FAT32
2. Ext4
3. Swap?

Upvote 0

Well, I did try to put most if not all of the relevant info (and files) in my own thread. Since that thread is much shorter, it hopefully wouldn't take several hours of reading. ;)

If the phone has crashed, it's likely the volume has become "dirty." Somewhere in the thread, I've discussed the issue. I've provided a zip that can be used to "fsck" the volume in recovery. Get it from my SD hack thread and use it to fix the volume to get the hack working again.

I don't have a SanDisk Ultra, but looking at Ultra's random r/w benchmark numbers posted by other users, I don't think SanDisk Ultra has a problem with simultaneous reading and writing. I personally use a Samsung EVO for this phone (don't need a fast card for my use of this phone), and Samsung EVO seems to be able to keep at least 30+ allocation units open at once. Samsung PRO and SanDisk Extreme could probably do better. I think the performance of PRO and Extreme could approach or even surpass that of the F6's internal flash memory.

If you want to run some benchmarks to compare, I've posted some numbers before in a few different posts. I've used A1 SD Bench to get random r/w performance characteristics and AndroBench to get multithreaded test results. Also, use SD Insight to make sure the card is genuine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones