Pro's and Con's of custom roms

Last Updated:

1. dogstar

dogstar Active Member This Topic's Starter

Can anybody provide some pro's and con's to using custom roms like LeeDroid etc.

I am not sure i want to use a custom rom or stick to a stock rom.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Cons: No official HTC OTA updates. Possibility of unstable if choosing an experminetal rom

Pro's: Quicker bug fixes - no reliance on HTC/Google. More customisable, more control, more personalisation. Faster roms, optimised for performance and battery life - more efficient. Large developer support community. A2SD+, install apps and associated delvik cache onto a partitioned SD card - moves more than standard implementation.

adizz131 likes this.
  3. dogstar

dogstar Active Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so i loaded LeeDroid onto my phone. I am not really seeing much benefit over my stock eclair rom.
    Nice to have a few new settings which i can customize. But otherwise, maybe i am not such a techie that i am finding any benefit??

I am picking up that the phone stalls between doing some tasks which is a con.

4. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Well, now you have FroYo instead of Eclair which is before your carrier has issued it.

If you used the +A2SD you now have more room for apps as they're stored on the SD Card.

The LeeDrOiD ROM's are much faster imo than the ROM that comes with the phone.

There's 3 benefits.

5. madnlooney

madnlooney Well-Known Member

if you didnt made an ext partition on your sd card then apps2sd wont work so you wont see more internal space