Pros and cons of overclocking

Last Updated:

1. The Third

The Third Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have read a lot about "clocking" I guess that is something about how fast the processor is. What is total speed the phone is supposed to have and what is the advantages as well as pitfalls and dangers of increasing the speed as compared to leaving it as is?

Advertisement
  2. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

The phone runs 550mhz stock, I just overclocked to 1ghz and I have to say it is a lot faster. The risks are that your phone could overheat, burn out the processer or even explode the battery but so far I haven't heard that happening to anybody. There are apps out there like set cpu that help you monitor this stuff

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

"Over-clocking" has been around as long as the CPU itself. If a device has a CPU in it, chances are pretty good that some egghead (like me) tried over-clocking it.

CPU's are designed/engineered to run at a certain speed, typically measured in MegaHertz. Our DROID's processor comes stock running at 550 MHz, although I believe the actually chip is spec'ed to be a 600 MHz processor.

There is a piece of software called a "kernel" that sits between your hardware (CPU) and your software and tells everything how to run. A few developers hacked the original 2.0 kernel and have released different versions to allow the CPU to run at different speeds. Not all CPU's are created equally. Some will run faster than others ... that's just the inherent nature of the beasts.

As bdal1 has stated, he is running his DROID at 1 GHz, or 1000 MHz. I have chosen to be a bigger idiot and run mine at the maximum 1.3 GHz. Why? Because my CPU doesn't seem to mind a bit. So ... why not? ;)

As bdal1 has also stated, the con can be excessive heat that will either burn the chip up very soon ... or slowly, thus shortening the life of the CPU. Fortunately we have software tools that help us control and monitor these harmful affects. An app called setCPU allows the user to over-clock only when he/she wants to. This way, the user is not running the CPU wide open 24/7. Also, there is an app called TempMonitor that taps into two different temperature sensors that are built into the DROID. Now, the user can closely monitor if the CPU is actually over-heating, and make adjustments in realtime to prevent any damage to the CPU.

I can tell you that, after running at almost 2.5 times the original clock speed, my DROID is ridiculously fast and smooth. Meanwhile, I'm not seeing any excessive heat issues what-so-ever.

4. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Man, he's good...

5. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I think it's worth pointing out that running a chip faster than it's recommended speed will shorten it's life, no question about it. The thing is, it will probably shorten it's life beyond what you would use it anyway i.e It could shorten it from 10 years to 5. The chances of you still using this phone in 5 years is minimal, so it's not going to be a problem. (That is an example by the way, I have no idea of the life span of these chips, don't take 5 years as gospel!)

No one can say for sure what will happen to the chips, the manufacturer rates them at 600 MHz, the company using them actually down-clocked them, probably to extend battery life. It all depends on if you think the performance trade off is worth it. I can't give my opinion on that because I don't have a Droid, but I can say that as long as you don't try something crazy (like 2GHz) you can test it to see how it runs without doing any lasting damage. If you don't think it's worth the potential hardware issues it may cause, you can clock it back down to normal and it will be fine.

It is also worth pointing out that the noted speed (whatever speed that is) is a maximum speed, not a constant one. It will only hit that speed if the software demands it. From day to day use, it probably won't peak anyway, it is more likely to when you are running intensive software.

EDIT: Just for future reference, you will probably get a lot more replies to your question if you make the thread title a little more connected to the subject.

6. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

My questions messenger is how do we know those temp sensors are reporting valid numbers???

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

TempMonitor is directly reporting readings from two physical temperature sensors that are built into the DROID by Motorola. This ain't no guessing game. ;)

8. gonzoguy24

To me it sounds a lot like a guessing game and "WHERE?" would be the big question.

Do you know what I am saying?

9. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I thought taz/dustin said they used the voltage increase or something to that effect to figure out the temp changes for the proc?

10. The Third

The Third Active Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded the app to change the speed but when I attempted to use it, it asked about "root" Must my phone be rooted?

11. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Yes

12. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Active Member

yes you have to have a rooted phone. When you use it on your rooted droid make sure when setting it up to use auto select instead of choosing droid. If you choose droid you won't be able to overclock your phone

13. gonzoguy24

yessir root away :) make sure you understand all the risks involved

14. hamburglar

hamburglar Member

how does OC affect the battery life? Anyone notice a shorter battery life during the day?

15. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

What is everyone using to monitor the temp of the cpu?

I tried TempMonitor but I wasn't sure that it was using the correct kernal...

16. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

So far the only kernels that I know of that let tempmonitor read the actual CPU sensor are Taz's kernels.

17. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

From what I read most all of them read the batt temp and dont read the CPU. Unless you have Taz's kernel.