pros and cons of rooting

1. gloriousnumber1

gloriousnumber1 Well-Known Member

I was wondering, would I only be able to take advantage of my phone (were I to root it) from my computer at home as far as making changes that I can't do now, or will I be able to do a lot of it from my phone too? I ask because I have more time to use my phone than my computer since I'm away from home working a lot of hours during the week.

I am also nervous that I might mess my phone up if I root it, or that it will need warranty replacement after being rooted and be broken to the point that I can't undo that before I take it in.

I am not a tech expert or computer nerd but I can follow directions and I'm far from technically challenged. I don't doubt I could do that if I wanted to. I'm just not sure if rooting is for me, although I think a lot of stuff I want to do I can't without rooting, I just hope I don't get in over my head.

Thoughts everyone?

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

you will mostly use your phone, not so much your computer after rooting. most of the benefits come from apps and themes and ROMS and kernels you can download and install right from the phone.. rarely is a computer needed

many say, it is nearly impossible to brick a phone during rooting. there are so many step by step and existing threads on it, you should be totally fine.

you kind of have to be a **** to not be able to pull it off. there are even apps that can d it for you - EasyRoot (but research it) - and the old school step by step way takes some time and effort, by the thousands have done it.

the only real con is it will make you spend way more time ******* with your phone then you ever really wanted to :)
  3. dxc

dxc Member

lol i agree with that.
  4. gloriousnumber1

I want to be able to dump the slide to unlock and use a pin only as a screen unlock, use ringdroid for not just ringtones, but notifications, and have total control over what sound is used for what. I want to separate text, email, notifications by tones, be able to use any sound for any and all purposes. I want my browser to automatically go to my homepage after I open it after using ATK, like 2.1 did. I also want more contact sorting options (work, personal, etc) with several alphabetical lists.

Will rooting accomplish this?
  5. mrojas123

mrojas123 Member

I just rooted my Droid but have done nothing else. I'm interested in extending battery life. Can SetCPU do that?
    What other battery-extending apps are there?
  6. AutoShadow

AutoShadow Well-Known Member

Rooting just gives you more options, such as flashing new ROMs and overclocking with kernels. Rooting doesn't automatically open you up to the things you want to accomplish, you'll probably have to start looking around in the ROM sections to see if there is one that can complete your needs. If there is one, then you're probably gonna wanna root so you can flash the ROM.
  7. gloriousnumber1

Usedin
  8. AutoShadow

AutoShadow Well-Known Member

You can try using lower voltage kernels that, in theory, should give you better battery life. I've had good luck with ChevyNo1's ultra low and low voltage kernels, and I'm currently running his ulv 1.1Ghz kernel. If you aren't comfortable with kernels, then you could always try underclocking your droid, but what you gain in battery life, you'll lose in performance. I would suggest looking into kernels, and you might wanna download an app called ROM manager which makes a lot of things much easier.
  9. gloriousnumber1

Sorry for the jibberish there, didn't mean to post that, not sure how to delete it from here since I'm on my phone, disregard :)
  10. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member

AMEN. I need a 12-step program now please.
  11. gloriousnumber1

So if I were to root my phone and something bad happened that needed warranty replacement and I couldn't do much on my phone, could I undo it before I take it in?
  12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

More than likely you would be able to reverse it so you could get the warranty replacement, you may need a computer to help with that however.
  13. gloriousnumber1

So I should stay away from easy root? If I don't use that, how long does it take?